Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Grimreapers???

Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Grimreapers???

For the peeps that are shooting Grimreaper mechanicals.

Which are you shooting and why?

razor tip or razor cut??
Old 08-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

I like them both. The only reason I decided to try the "Razor tip" was that the very tip of the razor cut would get dinged up sometimes after hitting the shoulder blade. Other than that I still use both and both get the job done.

I have switched over this year to try the killzone and the rages. The reaper replacement blades arent sold around me so I was having to purchase online. Good luck
Old 08-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
I like them both. The only reason I decided to try the "Razor tip" was that the very tip of the razor cut would get dinged up sometimes after hitting the shoulder blade. Other than that I still use both and both get the job done.

I have switched over this year to try the killzone and the rages. The reaper replacement blades arent sold around me so I was having to purchase online. Good luck
That's what I was sort of leaning towards. That and I might get a chance to go hog hunting later in the season and I figure the tip might hold up better on hog.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

If you're after hog, why not look into the Grim Reaper Fatal Steels? Solid stainless ferrule can't be a bad thing.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by miketodd58
That's what I was sort of leaning towards. That and I might get a chance to go hog hunting later in the season and I figure the tip might hold up better on hog.
I have taken far more hogs and animals with my 100grn 1-3/8ths cut Razor Cuts and have NEVER had one fail to open or lost one due to mechanical failure. Lost 1 due to bad hit, too high.
I even took one of our a 300+lb WhiteTail here in Illinois and broke the vertabrae into 4 pieces and did not even break a blade!!! Drove it 8 inches through the disc. Hogs, blows through them. I also resharpen the blades myself. Leather glove and hold the blade against my thumb and sharpen with a EZ Sharpn tool. Good to go.

Last edited by SecondChance; 08-24-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

Man you don't want grim reapers, go fixed blade for accuracy.
Let me tell a little story
I've been shooting 100 grain Muzzys from my bow since I first
Got it at sixteen. I'm 23 almost so that's seven years of shooting.
I can hit vitals ( about a ten inch circle)every time out to eighty yards with the Muzzys
Within 50 yards I typically can shoot the heart.
I couldn't tell you how many shots I've put through that old pse nova but it's a lot
My girlfriend got me a present, god bless her she thought she was doing a good thing.
Come to find out she had spent 50 bucks on three grim reaper broadheads, if I remember correctly one was a practice broadhead that did not expand?
She has no clue how us fixed blade guys are lol anyway I put them on my Arrows to make her happy
They were 100 grains so the drop from 20 to thirty should be the same as the 100 grain Muzzys.
In theory with the same weight broadhead you shouldn't have to adjust your pins just your entire sight.
So I moved my sight so that the grim reapers were hitting dead in bullseyes at 20 yards every time. Which they do very well. However try shooting much past that and you'll find out they definitely do not have "field point accuracy"
Groups out at forty yards were ridiculous, I'd say ten inch groups.
And fifty it was probably foot groups.
I have a 4x4 foot styrofoam block as a target and I wouldn't shoot the grim reapers out at sixty yards out of fear of losing my arrows.
I put back on my Muzzys and will never even glance at another mechanical.
All In all the things felt flimsy and poorly made, and they don't fly good at all
O rings are never going to be a part of my bow or my hunting
I have a few nice things to say, at 20 they flew very nicely so if your hunting a bait station and know your shot will be twenty or less you could use them (but you'd be just as happy with walmart cheapos at those yardages)
Ok one kind of alright thing to say about them....
Point is you aren't going to be shooting 5 inch groups at 80 yards like I do with muzzy
Old 08-23-2014, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry for the lengthy story, bud their flight patters just suck
Probably perfect for hog hunting though right?
Like I mentioned if you were baiting then your shots would only be maybe 30 yards?
In that situation I'm sure they would do good.
But if you're deer hunting and might see a monster buck 80 yards to your left it would be nice to know you can make the shot. No way grim reapers groups would be good enough out at 80.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by westMDbowhunter
Sorry for the lengthy story, bud their flight patters just suck
Probably perfect for hog hunting though right?
Like I mentioned if you were baiting then your shots would only be maybe 30 yards?
In that situation I'm sure they would do good.
But if you're deer hunting and might see a monster buck 80 yards to your left it would be nice to know you can make the shot. No way grim reapers groups would be good enough out at 80.
I shoot maybe 60 yards in 3d circles but eastern hunts about 35 yards is a long shot.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by westMDbowhunter
Man you don't want grim reapers, go fixed blade for accuracy.
Let me tell a little story
I've been shooting 100 grain Muzzys from my bow since I first
Got it at sixteen. I'm 23 almost so that's seven years of shooting.
I can hit vitals ( about a ten inch circle)every time out to eighty yards with the Muzzys
Within 50 yards I typically can shoot the heart.
I couldn't tell you how many shots I've put through that old pse nova but it's a lot
My girlfriend got me a present, god bless her she thought she was doing a good thing.
Come to find out she had spent 50 bucks on three grim reaper broadheads, if I remember correctly one was a practice broadhead that did not expand?
She has no clue how us fixed blade guys are lol anyway I put them on my Arrows to make her happy
They were 100 grains so the drop from 20 to thirty should be the same as the 100 grain Muzzys.
In theory with the same weight broadhead you shouldn't have to adjust your pins just your entire sight.
So I moved my sight so that the grim reapers were hitting dead in bullseyes at 20 yards every time. Which they do very well. However try shooting much past that and you'll find out they definitely do not have "field point accuracy"
Groups out at forty yards were ridiculous, I'd say ten inch groups.
And fifty it was probably foot groups.
I have a 4x4 foot styrofoam block as a target and I wouldn't shoot the grim reapers out at sixty yards out of fear of losing my arrows.
I put back on my Muzzys and will never even glance at another mechanical.
All In all the things felt flimsy and poorly made, and they don't fly good at all
O rings are never going to be a part of my bow or my hunting
I have a few nice things to say, at 20 they flew very nicely so if your hunting a bait station and know your shot will be twenty or less you could use them (but you'd be just as happy with walmart cheapos at those yardages)
Ok one kind of alright thing to say about them....
Point is you aren't going to be shooting 5 inch groups at 80 yards like I do with muzzy
You said something about O rings. Did you have problems with the O rings on those reapers?
So far, out to 50yds, I shoot ethical distances with my weapons, I have yet to get any groups outside 8" with all 6 arrows.
Flimsy? So shooting through 55gal steel drums would not be a comparision for the durability of a broadhead? They shoot just fine through steel drums and stick in the opposite side with no damage to the ferrule or point. Just some of the blades need replacing or shaprening. And blowing through the gristle plates on a hog in and out. Wash off, resharpen and good to go!!! Brian Quacka AKA PigMan, can attest to this!!
Old 08-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by miketodd58
I shoot maybe 60 yards in 3d circles but eastern hunts about 35 yards is a long shot.
Thank you. 80yds is beyond a ethical shot on a living critter no matter. You begin to get into the kenetic energy for sufficient pass through or even depth unless your shooting 100lbs draw and 650grn arrows to maintain the energy needed at that distance.
If you are supposedly able to keep those kind of groups at the said distances you stated, you are in the upper 1% of all archers known!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.