Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
The Frustration, Please Help! >

The Frustration, Please Help!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Frustration, Please Help!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Spike

Thank you for all the help guys I appreciate it!

Yes he has thought about contacts, but I am starting Physical Therpist Assistant school and can't work so money will be tight. We are working on getting a loan though, so maybe if we have extra he can get some!!
Old 08-14-2014, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glasses and peep sights don't go together well for some people. Tell him to look at a Hind Sight
Old 08-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Spike

My advice:

slow is better. Shoot smaller sets of arrows. I typically shoot strings of four or five. This gives me plenty of rest between strings.

If I get frustrated, I stop - no sense developing bad habits.

My pins are set for 20,30,40,50, & 60 - I have a 5 pin sight.

I had a problem where I was floating my anchor. I solved this by having a kisser button installed. This went a long way toward getting my anchor squared away.

Also. don't try to sight in all the pins at once. Sight in your two closest pins and be consistent before sighting in the rest. trying to sight in a pin when you're tired and your form is suffering will do nothing more than drive you crazy. Start fresh when sighting in.

take frequent breaks.

If you're not having fun while sighting your bow, you're doing it wrong.

recognize that you will have good days, bad days, really bad days, and really, really good days. Don't push the bad days until you are confident you have all your pins set.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

What part of Kansas are you in? I know you said it was a bit of a drive to KC. Might help to get some hands on instruction.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If he is looking over his glasses, unless he has his glasses pulled down intentionally, then his head is in the WRONG POSITION.

The shooter's head should NOT be leaned forward. You do NOT lower your eye to your sight, you raise the bow to your eye. Dropping your head puts your neck and back in a weak position that promotes instability in your shot, and looking out of the top, bottom, or side of your eye socket (i.e. your eye is not close to centered) hinders your visual acuity.

I know you've mentioned this in other threads, but did you end up getting 2 bows, or only one for both of you to shoot?
Old 08-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Spike

Nomercy448, we are an hour and a half to two hours from KC. We have a few places down here that we can take them to. We did one place, but they only slightly told us how to sight them in ourselves. Also, he just tried holding his head differently like you suggested and it worked tons. THANKS!! We got two seperate bows, one for him and one for me.

Has anyone used a little lazer pointer that you put on the end of your arrow to see where it would hit?
Old 08-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kay_bug07
Nomercy448, we are an hour and a half to two hours from KC.
There's a lot of Kansas that's 90-120mi from KC. I'm in Wichita, but I travel around the state a lot. Beyond just looking for shops near you, it's really not that hard to find an excuse to visit a range and do some instruction, just not sure where you might be located, to determine whether that was feasible or not.

Originally Posted by kay_bug07
Has anyone used a little lazer pointer that you put on the end of your arrow to see where it would hit?
These are terrible. Quite simply, they do NOT tell you where your arrow will hit. They only tell you where it is pointed when you turn it on. They give new shooters hope that they are actually sighting in their bow, but the reality is that the arrow, when the bow is at rest, is NOT pointing the same direction as when it is drawn (except for dual/binary/twin cam bows - which you don't have). You can get a little closer by drawing the bow, but to make adjustments to your bow with it drawn is incredibly dangerous, and I'd venture it's safe to assume that you don't own a draw board or hooter shooter. The lasers can get you on the target at 10yrds, but won't actually help you sight in - and for the cost, it's easy enough to eyeball your initial sight position. Rifle shooters that wanted to take up archery thought it'd be a good idea, since laser boresighters are all the rage these days, but a bow isn't a rifle barrel.

IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS - LASER ARROW GUIDES ARE USELESS FOR SINGLE CAM BOWS.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
If he is looking over his glasses, unless he has his glasses pulled down intentionally, then his head is in the WRONG POSITION.

The shooter's head should NOT be leaned forward. You do NOT lower your eye to your sight, you raise the bow to your eye. Dropping your head puts your neck and back in a weak position that promotes instability in your shot, and looking out of the top, bottom, or side of your eye socket (i.e. your eye is not close to centered) hinders your visual acuity.

I know you've mentioned this in other threads, but did you end up getting 2 bows, or only one for both of you to shoot?
All good advice thus far...my advice on the rear peep sight is when you pull up the bow it should be at eye level...meaning that you shouldnt have to move your head around. if you are leaning/moving your head forward or backward up or down something is not adjusted right or your draw length is too long or short, peep is too high or too low...

The rest is practice. Also some has to do with field tips vs broad heads because some broadheads will fly different than field tips...just be aware of that.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
There's a lot of Kansas that's 90-120mi from KC. I'm in Wichita, but I travel around the state a lot. Beyond just looking for shops near you, it's really not that hard to find an excuse to visit a range and do some instruction, just not sure where you might be located, to determine whether that was feasible or not.

These are terrible. Quite simply, they do NOT tell you where your arrow will hit. They only tell you where it is pointed when you turn it on. They give new shooters hope that they are actually sighting in their bow, but the reality is that the arrow, when the bow is at rest, is NOT pointing the same direction as when it is drawn (except for dual/binary/twin cam bows - which you don't have). You can get a little closer by drawing the bow, but to make adjustments to your bow with it drawn is incredibly dangerous, and I'd venture it's safe to assume that you don't own a draw board or hooter shooter. The lasers can get you on the target at 10yrds, but won't actually help you sight in - and for the cost, it's easy enough to eyeball your initial sight position. Rifle shooters that wanted to take up archery thought it'd be a good idea, since laser boresighters are all the rage these days, but a bow isn't a rifle barrel.

IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS - LASER ARROW GUIDES ARE USELESS FOR SINGLE CAM BOWS.
we are from pittsburg the se corner of kansas. we might have them pretty close to being sighted in for the 20yd. now we are debating on if we should get a stabilizer for them. opinions?
Old 08-20-2014, 02:20 AM
Fork Horn

You should probably have a stabilizer. They help to balance your bow a little better. Not to sound like an a$$ but did you buy your bows at a pro shop? If you did then that shop needs to have better customer service or you need to find another shop that does a better job. I have to drive an hour away to get the service I want. Our shops around home don't have a clue on how to set up a bow correctly or just plain don't care.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.