Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help

Old 07-30-2014, 02:15 PM
Spike

Default Need help

I recently got a new bow and am having issues getting it sighted in. I have moved the site all the way left and down but I am still missing the center dot low and to the left by about 4-6 inches from only ten yards. any ideas on what to do would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-31-2014, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Move your arrow rest to the right and lower your knock point
Old 07-31-2014, 04:13 PM
Spike

is moving a nock point something simple that I can do at home?
Old 07-31-2014, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

you may want to move your sight back near center when you move the arrow rest, leave yourself some room to fine tune.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

most just spin around the string to move them.

just be careful, getting the local bow shop to move stuck knock points is a lot cheaper than changing a damaged string.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

it may slide just be carefull
Old 08-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

You might consider taking it to a pro shop or look up how to paper tune your bow before sighting it in. If it's not tuned to center shot, you'll never get the sights lined up.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cjclemens
You might consider taking it to a pro shop or look up how to paper tune your bow before sighting it in. If it's not tuned to center shot, you'll never get the sights lined up.
This. I set my center shot and then never move the rest. Everything is then tuned with yoke cable or grip.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

I always advocate tuning. Some guys take it a little too far, but the first thing you wanna do is paper tune your bow, so you know the arrows are coming out straight. Once you get that done, sighting it in with field points is a cinch. I have an uncle who is a die hard bowhunter, but he never goes to the pro shop, because they charge too much in his opinion. He went out with a used bow he bought from someone else last season and wounded/lost two deer. He finally broke down and took it to the shop - come to find out the rest was way off to the left and the sights had been adjusted to compensate. You can paper tune yourself or take it to a proshop if you want. Either way, the results are well worth the effort. Also, don't forget to broadhead tune as well - especially if you use fixed broadheads. Those are two easy to do things that'll help make sure you're on target this fall, rather than scratching your head while the deer runs off at full speed!