HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Justifying a bad shot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/393325-justifying-bad-shot.html)

cjclemens 07-30-2014 11:27 AM

Justifying a bad shot

Did anyone see this? Apparently its OK to gut shoot deer, these days. Basically, this guy made a bad shot and spent the entire duration of the show justifying it as legitimate shot placement. He's been taking some heat over it, too.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

car 07-30-2014 12:16 PM

Yup I saw it.

browtine7 07-30-2014 04:02 PM

Yes I did and could not believe what I was seeing!!!!!!

dan87bh 07-30-2014 05:51 PM

Was that guy serious.

TXStr8shot 07-30-2014 06:21 PM

I am stunned and saddened by that.

cjclemens 07-30-2014 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by TXStr8shot (Post 4151139)
I am stunned and saddened by that.

Me too. I actually went so far as to send a message to his sponsors about it.

I just worry that there will be people that watch that and think he knows what hes talking about...

sconnyhunter 07-30-2014 10:45 PM

Some people can justify anything, for the right price.

nchawkeye 07-31-2014 03:21 AM

Neither buck in the video was in the right position to shoot...

Part of bowhunting is waiting until the animal is in the right position
or angle to take out both lungs...

If you don't have the discipline to wait for the shot, don't bowhunt....

Nomercy448 07-31-2014 06:23 AM

I agree that this guy is promoting that hunters take a badly positioned shot (quartering towards) in which the VITALS are shielded by muscle and bone, rather than encouraging hunters to be responsible sportsmen and WAIT FOR THE SHOT TO PRESENT ITSELF - OR PASS ON THE SHOT...

It's almost humorous, but ultimately saddening and embarrassing to hear him say that there are "vitals on either side of a center punch." I guess my experience would not support that the large intestine was a "VITAL". If a 10yr old kid that had never hunted before grabbed an anatomy book and wondered where to place a shot, sure, maybe they'd think that gut shooting would equate a "vitals hit," but for a grown man and "experienced hunter" to make that statement is just horrifying.

Proof is in the pudding, one specific example from my own recent experience - last season my wife hit EXACTLY where the video illustrated. We tracked blood for a half-mile until 2am (impact at 5pm), then started again at 8am the next morning and made it another quarter mile with our dogs before we couldn't find the next drop (about 30yrds between the last two drips, the size of fly specs). About 3mos later, we found his skeleton while running hounds for coon another half mile away from where the blood had dried up, with the arrow shaft and broadhead plugged into the inside of the last rib. So yeah, sure, it killed him, even killed him pretty fast, and sure, we recovered the rack after all of the important part had rotted away, but he ran over a mile before he dropped and we didn't find him.

It's shameful to broadcast that kind of misrepresented information.

cjclemens 07-31-2014 01:06 PM

I think he did it for attention/shock value. He outright said it would be a "controversial" look at shot placement. Honestly, I think he made a bad shot on that deer and tried to sell it as a revolutionary new idea. I understand its hard to stay relevant in the competitive TV market, but this one blew up in his face and rightfully so. Since all the backlash has hit, he's started back-peddling pretty hard and saying he never meant to advocate gut shooting deer. Unfortunately for him, everyone already saw the graphics in the show and heard what he said about hitting intestines. I think it all would have gone better for him if he had admitted upfront that he made a bad shot and used it as a teachable moment, rather than playing it off as intentional. Then again, he could just be one of those scumbags that would shoot a deer in the guts on purpose - he wouldn't be the first "professional" hunter to be caught on record talking up gut shot deer.