Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

lost arrows?

Old 08-11-2014, 07:28 AM
Spike

I lose a couple a year. Miss the target and they slice deep under the lawn. In a few hundred years maybe an archeologist will place my "Fine example of an ancient North American Muzzy Arrowhead" in a history museum.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to pride myself on almost NEVER losing arrows.

Then a few years ago I started calling coyotes with a bow. Since then, I'm the sole reason that the doors at Gold Tip and Rage stay open...
Old 08-17-2014, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

I love your reply worstcaster.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:06 AM
Spike

just a trick I heard an old timer tell me. If you shoot an miss when target shooting, take off your shoes and walk the lawn back and forth where you thought it might be. You'll feel it with your feet before you see it. I wouldn't suggest doing it when practicing with you broadheads. haha I don't recall losing to many, but I pry have to retire 1-2 year, do to actual hunting.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I just managed to kill my quota of arrows for the year. Working on fine tuning my bow for the upcoming season and my groups weren't coming in quite as tight as i wanted. Well, I switched over to shooting broadheads to see where they were hitting. I know you're not supposed to shoot groups with broadheads, but my groups weren't that good, so I thought I was safe. Sure enough, I put two shots within an inch of eachother and the third shot managed to slice a nock and fillet both of the previous arrows at the same time. Fortunately for me, I've been lazy and haven't fletched my new hunting arrows yet, so all I lost were a couple of my practice arrows.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Geez actually losing one? I couldn't tell you. I've smashed them or otherwise ruined them shooting through a target or having an animal break them. But its been a long time since I actually lost one.
In the past 15yrs I have not lost any due to target mishaps. NOW, due to animal mishaps, different story!!! I have lost over a dozen in the past 5 years due to blowing through and getting broke in the dirt or animals shoulder. Or had one doe get hit with a brand new one, maiden voyage, stick in the dirt/snow. She reared up, backed up and stepped on the arrow, snapping it and I couldn't find the entry point in the dirt to find the BH in all the tracks and blood!!!
Old 08-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

I've lost 4-arrows this year from robin hood shots.