HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Need help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/392601-need-help.html)

RJPOUTDOORS 06-28-2014 08:50 AM

Need help

I don't know what has happened in just a couple of months. After turkey season I stopped shooting for about a month, now when I go to shot I'm releasing before the pin is on target. Sometimes I release and have not even looked into my peep sight. Someone know how to fix this, I have never had anything like this happen.
Thanks for any advise.

Nomercy448 06-28-2014 09:24 AM

Sometimes when you take a long lay off, it's natural to be quick to the trigger the first time back. Most experienced women know this, so they're understanding, so it's nothing to be ashamed of, but you'll have to be sure to take care of her needs too... :happy0157::happy0157::happy0157:

Couldn't resist... :rolleye0011:

So to be sure I'm understanding correctly, you're drawing your bow and shooting without control before you're on target?

What type of release are you shooting? If a caliper release, are your jaws not positively closing together, or is your D-loop worn thin and slipping between the jaws? If you ARE using a caliper release, are you drawing your bow with your finger pressed on the BACK of the trigger to hold it locked, or are you drawing with your finger on the trigger in firing position? If a back tension release, then it makes more sense, as you could be drawing differently and tripping your release early, especially if you had your release set to a rather low break.

peakrut 06-28-2014 10:37 PM

Get yourself one of these and just get your form and aim all set. I had target panic real bad for over 6 months then I found this and it helped me so much.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TruFire-Draw...item564b6496d0

RJPOUTDOORS 06-29-2014 07:35 PM

Peakrut, thanks for the advise. I came up with something along the same line, I have three releases so last night I took duck tape and taped the trigger so it will not fire. I went out to the target today and drew my bow and felt my self wanting to release before fully nocked. I spent 40 min. doing this and by the end of the 40 min. I could pull by bow back and actually settle the pin. Going to pratice this for the next three or four days and is if it will work. Thanks and good hunting.

VT Outfitter 07-01-2014 04:25 PM

Another tip you can try is to close your eyes, then draw and anchor the string or any other contact anchor point. You will feel that jittery feeling for those few seconds, but while your eyes are closed your uncontrolled desire to touch the trigger should be lite or nonexistent. When you have calmed yourself and feel the powerful confident feeling, then open your eyes. You may need to adjust your aim a bit, but that need to send the arrow should be under your control. Use small sticker dots on your target and stand at the 20 yard line to practice. Aim small, miss small. Aim big, miss big. Focus on hitting that tiny dot, not hitting the whole target. You can also decrease the size of yardage pin diameter. If the pin is giant and a glowing star when you are trying to aim, you may get that "close enough, fling it" feeling. If your pin is a tiny little spec you wont cover much of the bullseye allowing you to really pin point place your pin on that small dot sticker. If you have a sight that has multiple pins you may consider changing to a single adjustable yardage site. I am fond of HHA sights. If you are looking at four pins and they are all on the target that might trigger the "close enough, fling it" feeling. While perhaps a single pin forces you to focus on one pin on your target dot.
Take it one shot at a time. A nice smooth draw. A closed eye anchoring of the string....and relax. Pick your point of impact, make it a tiny spot. Then follow through with your shot.
I hope this helps, I had the same issue. And once in a while it comes back. I do this closed eye routine to force myself to wait. I found that with my eyes closed, I cant see my target but I know its there. With closed eyes I felt as though it was impossible to release the arrow. After several seconds of quieting my mind, when I opened my eyes I started feeling like I could hold the shot until "I" was ready.
Good luck to you this fall.
Whitetail Strategies Guide Service
Fred Scott

fshafly2 07-02-2014 06:50 AM

Thanks for the post peakrut, just ordered one...

-fsh

RJPOUTDOORS 07-04-2014 11:37 PM

Vt Outtfitter thanks for the advise I will try it also. I have noticed a little improvement over the past week. I have noticed that I jerk when I touch my trigger.

VT Outfitter 07-05-2014 07:23 AM

Is it a jittery jerk, or a full on chainsaw pull start yank? Either way, it all about calming your nerves. Another tip you can try with a large target and a calm voiced helper is this. Stand about 5 yards away from your target. Take aim and draw back, anchor, and sight in to the center of the target. Close your eyes and have your helper line you up as to not miss the target when you release. Wait for your helper to say "ok" and send your arrow. As you become more comfortable and not so twitchy on the trigger, move back a bit and repeat the process but with your eyes open. Still wait for your helper to give you the "ok" to release, but you hold for 10 seconds or so on your small dot. Try it and good luck to you.

Whitetail Strategies Guide Service
Fred Scott Owner/Head Guide