Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bow sight...to change or not to change >

Bow sight...to change or not to change

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow sight...to change or not to change

Old 06-25-2014, 06:34 PM
Spike

Default Bow sight...to change or not to change

Well getting everything ready for bow season and the past few years I have considered going to a one pin sight....Right now i just have a nice tru glo 5-pin I like it but sometimes there is just to much in the way and and the sight picture with the one pin is great. So anybody have any suggestions, or stories of what they do don't like about there one pin?
Old 06-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

One pin is all I shoot now. I was back an forth for probable 10 years. Now all I shoot is a one vertical pin sight.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have both right now, can't really say I prefer one over the other. I have an HHA single pin lever sight, and a Trophy Ridge V5 multi-pin sight.

The downside to the single pin sight is that you really need to move the sight before taking a shot, which takes time. If a deer is moving quickly, you may not have time to adjust your sight, or if you draw and a deer moves closer, you might be SOL.

So these days, I practice a bit with my pin set at the WRONG DISTANCE so I know approximate hold-over or hold-under. If I draw on a deer at 50yrds that suddenly turns and walks into 35yrds, I don't have to let down and adjust. Without that practice, I would.

I honestly can't say there's any similar disadvantage to a vertical multi-pin sight. I do believe my HHA has more adjustment potential than my TR V5, so my 25yrd top pin and my 75yrd bottom pin are basically as high and low, respectively, as they can go. The HHA has more adjustment, so if I set it up to bottom out (lever bottom) at 25yrds instead of 10yrds as I have it now, the highest setting would likely be over 100yrds. But either have plenty of range for hunting.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

KNOW YOUR DISTANCE. And this is the my simple way of dealing with it.

I have a one and a half pin. I tried a 3 pin for about ten minutes and said no way. Went back to a single pin.

I'm zero'd in at 20 yards, which is good from 0-28 yards. Then I marked the pin post at 35 yards and use it from30-45 yards. To shoot past 60, I'm actually outside the pin guard. Shooting distance is fun but my farthest shot at a animal was last year at 24 yards.

I don't use a rangefinder but pre-season i stake out 20 yards and 33 yards in my shooting lanes. And I've practiced enough where, I can make the small adjustments on the fly. I'll walk around and pick random distances... looks about 28 yards- aim 5" high, 24 yards - aim 2" high. 32 yards - next pin and 1" low.

About 10 years about I froze on a Booner because I thought he was too far. He was on a hot doe and she ran right under me but he wouldn't come down the ridge. I thought that ridge HAD to be 45 yards away....He stood there for 8 minutes. Turned out he was 28 yards.... He should be on the wall....So I promised myself that wouldn't happen again. Last year was my first 10 pointer, and even tho I could feel the my pulse in the back of my neck, I still could read his tail and ears (knew he was calm and not on alert), gave him time to turn broadside AND let him move his front foot forward. Waited for his head to go behind a tree to draw. The yearly busted me drawing but the buck thought it bolted cuz of him. Found boiler room, aimed 1" up and let it go. This was the first deer out of 12 that I didn't see the arrow hit the animal. Which is something I preach about. KNOW where you hit it, so you can go after it in the right time frame. Left to right I knew I was good but I was clueless on height. Turns out I hit the trifecta, double lunger and caught a blade on the heart.

Point being. Now I only give distance a spilt second of thought and only having ONE pin helps this. Then I start thinking bout all the OTHER things that are going on. Shooting now, is just a reaction instead of THE action.

Last edited by timmyzimmy; 06-29-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

I like the multi pin sights I live in the wonderful state of California. we have some varying ranges and very little time to shoot so I like the quick pull up and adjust your elevation and pick a pin.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

The less complicated the better.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:08 AM
Fork Horn

Hands down, one pin sights are the way to go. Less chance of you picking the wrong pin as long as you use a range finder.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Love the single pin. espeically for outdoor 3D range and for hunting I have never in 30 years of hunting shot at a deer past 25 yards with my bow so all I need is one pin.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

I've always had a issue with a halo between my 20 and 30 yard pins since they were fairly close to each other and it hurt my accuracy. When i bought my last bow i went with a HHA sight and fell in love with it. I like the fact the i don't have to do Kentucky windage like with a multi-pin sight and can dial in right on to the exact yardage while i have my release hooked on. And it uncluttered my sight picture too.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:48 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

The most 2 pins, one for up to 30 and 50 plus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.