HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Fixed Broadheads to replace my old Thunderheads? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/392364-fixed-broadheads-replace-my-old-thunderheads.html)

Neumonic 06-15-2014 06:30 AM

Fixed Broadheads to replace my old Thunderheads?

Last year I was given an old bow and it came with Thunderhead T100 BH's..I took my first shot at a deer last fall and missed terribly to the left as I found out later the bow wasn't tuned nor setup for me so even though I was good out to 40 yards with field points, broadheads were terribly off.
I decided not to invest anymore time and money into the 17 year old bow and went ahead and bought a new bow a few weeks back so I could have one setup for me from the get-go.
Shooting yesterday I found out how important a properly setup bow is, those same broadheads that were 12" off to the left are now shooting very close to the field points with no additional tuning after being setup when I bought the new bow!
Now that I have a new setup that I feel is awesome (to me anyway) should I upgrade to new broadheads? I'm sure in 17 years there is a better fixed blade BH out there.

Please let me know what you guys recommend that will fly true and do a great job on white tail.

Thanks!

redgreen 06-15-2014 08:15 AM

I used 125 grain Thunderheads for years, and they worked great. No need to change the head, just tune the bow to shoot them.

Wilcam47 06-15-2014 08:56 AM

I use muzzy 100gr. They fly decent and are strong.

Rhody Hunter 06-15-2014 11:30 AM

I use 100 grain slick trick mags. They are very durable and fly the same as my field points.
They cut a nice slug hole in the animal.

bowtech_777 06-16-2014 06:33 AM

muzzy 90 gr 4 blade

deercreekhunter 06-16-2014 08:14 AM

I have taken many big game animals with NAP 125s. They are a good head and one of the most reasonably priced heads available. If their flying good for you, why change?

Neumonic 06-16-2014 09:37 AM

I will check out the 100 grain slick trick mags, thanks for the recommendation Rhody Hunter.

Which NAP heads are you using deercreekhunter?

I will keep the Thunderheads I have left, just want to try something else to see if they fly a little better and punch a bigger hole!

fastetti 06-17-2014 05:04 PM

X2 Slick Trick Mags. Great broad head and fly great. Do some devastating work as well. Two Illinois 8 points have fallen to them in the last two years for me.

hatchet jack 06-17-2014 11:40 PM

125gr Steelforce Phatheat. Strongest BH on the planet . TT steel at .080 thickness . Blows thru Deer .

Hatchet Jack

Neumonic 06-18-2014 06:10 PM

Thanks guys!

I have been told to look at the QAD Exodus as well, anyone have any experience with them?