Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Switch back xt

Old 06-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Spike

Default Switch back xt

So I am still shooting the mathews switch back xt, love the bow its super smooth but last season seemed to be lacking in power. Shot 2 does and a buck didn't get much penetration and all where under 20 yards. Was shooting the 1 3/4" grim reapers though. 2 of the 3 where behind the shoulder shots like you would hope for. Thought about switching to the 1 1/2" grimreapers or the new Muzzys.... I heard it could be from just needing to replacing the string and cables or maybe its more? Thought about going Anybody have any suggestions or and prior experiences with this?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

I shot switchback xt for years, one of my favorite bows. I shot 2" rages and never had a probably with getting a pass through. I as had my crank up as high as it goes. Maybe crank the poundage up if you have room.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot this bow and get pass thrus . And I have mine turned down to 60 . I shoot a smaller head. 1 1/8 . What pound you set at? Maybe try a smaller head
Old 06-22-2014, 07:36 PM
Spike

Went to the local bow shop to put a new sting and cables on thought this would help some. Started looking at my bow and noticed that the limbs were "turned down" they are #70 so I had the guy go ahead and see what it was pulling and it was at 54...he kinda looked at me like I didn't know you could even get it tuned down this low. I was in a bit of shock. Guess i will crank it back to 70 and see how that goes. Still in amazement of how this happened but guess I should of took a better look at my bow.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're shooting a less powerful bow, you don't want to go with a larger cut grim reaper. My KE isn't all that great so I shoot a 1 3/8 inch razortip and it works great. If you think your bow is less powerful than it used to be, maybe its time for a new string.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Since you replaced your string and jacked up your draw weight...check out some good small diameter Fixed Blade options and also maybe a new arrow set up? What is your total arrow weight? Also, maybe add some weight upfront and increase your FOC
Old 07-29-2014, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

loved the XT... switched when z7 came out... and in my opinion the z7 was far better...
I switched to the Creed last season... not much better than z7. z7 probably best bow I have owned.