Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how do u hunt land that u never scouted!!! >

how do u hunt land that u never scouted!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how do u hunt land that u never scouted!!!

Old 10-06-2003, 09:19 AM

Default how do u hunt land that u never scouted!!!

HAY GUYS HOW DO U HUNT LAND THAT U NEVER SCOUTED...

or land u been hunting for 6 years but u did not get a chance this year to scout.. let me know .....

thanks

big a bowmansville ny wny
Old 10-07-2003, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how do u hunt land that u never scouted!!!

If you know where the bedding and feeding sites are, you can set up in between w/ the wind in your favor.

Another option is to focus on any natural funnels in the area.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

tough call.....on public land it' s a shot in the dark. I usually just find a tree and try to get away from other hunters, and stay late. Many times you can catch a deer running away from other hunters as they leave.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Depends on how much time I have. If time allows I take a quick tour of the perimeter looking for all the usual things. Then I do a walk through looking for the usual things and go from there... pin point some spots based on food, terrain and sign. Then I fine tune as I hunt.

If it' s a quick hunt for the day only I just take my chances. See what I can see driving there as far as food, roads, traffic etc. I pick out the type of terrain feature that I figure hold the most deer traffic and food and thickets. I go there looking for the usual things. I find where a couple things come together and there' s some sign and I find an edge and climb up... hoping for the best. I' m really good at figuring out where they should be.... just they aren' t there sometimes.[] I am real good at remembering. Every trip goes in the memory bank for later recall if I ever happen back that way. Sometimes it works... sometimes you just end up watching or should we say maybe " HUNTING" ? The thing I have to continually tell myself is that NO matter how good a spot looks, I have to give it up if it doesn' t work. In my early years(a few decades ago) I often clung to a non producer like it was the only spot in the woods. I love my climber,... I go somewhere different everytime... if it' s only 50 yards away. Some spots ARE better than others... but to deer there are a lot of spots they visit. I might as well try to find them all.[:-]
Old 10-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found myself in a similar situation this season. I received permission from the landowner 1 week prior to the start of the season. Not wanting to disturb the area too much I chose to sneak around the perimeter of the property and scout with binoculars. I was able to find 4 solid locations to setup stands. I' ve spent 2 days at 2 different stands and have been taking notes while observing. I' ll then take that info and alter the stand positions as necessary. So far, so good.