Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Best bang for the "Buck" on 3D target? >

Best bang for the "Buck" on 3D target?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best bang for the "Buck" on 3D target?

Old 05-14-2014, 08:25 AM
Spike

Default Best bang for the "Buck" on 3D target?

I've been a gun girl most of my life aside from a brief time shooting a recurve at summer camp one year looong ago. But...I purchased my new bow a week ago and I'm already hooked.

We are gearing up for the ultimate goal of deer hunting during the bow season this fall. (I'll still pull out my .243 during modern gun of course...but variety is the spice as they say!)

We have a block and standard bag target for practice...but we want to buy a 3D deer target. There are many out there from the Glendel Buck down to some cheapies. If you were going to purchase one today...which one is a decent target for the money? We don't need the top of the line fancy...but we don't want to buy crap that falls apart or is impossible to pull the arrows out of either.

** for those that are interested I bought a Matthews Mission Menace. (decent starter and light weight) Draw length of 28" and currently drawing at 36#...we will be turning that up with time/practice. I was fitted and my bow tuned/set up by John Thompson at Mount George Archery in Arkansas. He knows his stuff and literally spent hours with me to get me started right.**
Old 05-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned a couple different brands, and have shot many different brands at ranges around the country.

Glendel and Rinehart are the only ones worth buying. The Glendels are my preference for deer targets, since the replacement cores are everywhere, and cheap. Rineharts are pretty proud of their targets and are a bit harder to pull arrows from, but they're great targets if you have the coin.

Especially if you have a higher powered bow! Delta?McKenzie's won't stop either of my bows at close ranges, and they are HARD to remove at longer ranges. A buddy of mine that I shoot with a lot has a Shooter brand, even his Diamond Outlaw has torn it up quickly, and has passed though with rage practice points. I have a cabelas coyote and turkey, durability on them sucks, cabelas had to replace the coyote after about a month of use, and again, arrow removal is difficult.

The standard glendel buck is the best value. You don't really get anything extra with the larger Full Rut buck. I have both, got the Full Rut at the price of the standard because the shop was out of inventory on the standard - nice of them to cut me the deal.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Spike

What is your budget? That will help us narrow it down.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ha, the biggest bang for the buck

is to learn how to repair 3D targets and not just shoot them. If you just shoot them, they will shoot out. 3D is not cheap.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Delta McKenzie Riverbottom Series Intruder Deer Target...I have seen them go for $90 shipped...great deal I have 2 of them and a Glendel.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Let's see...

There is a $1000 target bow and a $200 3D target you just keep putting holes and holes in.
And you're looking to save money.