Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Taming deer fever??? >

Taming deer fever???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taming deer fever???

Old 10-04-2003, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Taming deer fever???

Just thought I would pose this question to the readers. How do you tame your " buck" fever. Hek, I get so shaky, if the trees had acorns they would fall all over the place, my heart races so fast, my palms get sweaty, and my knees goto nocking. I practice all summer long and can hit a coke can out to 40 yards but when it comes to letting the arrow fly on deer, well lets just say I miss more than I hit. My typical shot is less than 25 yards. I don' t get this way with a gun or muzzle gun. I guess because the deer are not up close and personal with me. HOW DO YOU TAME YOUR SELF FOR THE BOW SHOT?
Old 10-04-2003, 08:07 PM

Default RE: Taming deer fever???

It can be tough AB, I still get the shakes.

Luckily for me when I draw back - I relax a bit and seem to get into a " zone"

I have forced myself to remember exactly what just happened during and after the shot. If I don' t do this I can' t remember a thing - its all a blur

Just stick with easy shots, take your time, and try to relax - talk to yourself as the deer is coming - this helps me
Old 10-04-2003, 08:23 PM

I know what your talkin about on this subject. I try and do this....imagine that your just at the range....at that time your thinking about keeping your anchor point the same, breathing the same way every shot, saying to yourself..don' t punch or pull at the target and just make a good shot. If your in the correct area(doe permits a plenty), just start shooting does. If your doing all of that with a doe in front of you(like I almost always do..LOL)....tell yourself " Dang...come on man, it' s just a doe" . It sounds goofy, but in a way it almost makes me laugh(inside) and calms me down. Whatever you can do to keep your mind off of shooting at a live animal and concentrating on making a good shot. Good luck. Hope that this helps a bit.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:58 PM

I am like Rack-Attack I calm when I draw back, but I agree I get the shakes and a speeding heart rate. But for me that is why I love to hunt and that is why I keep going back to the woods. It is a feeling that nothing else gives you and that is what makes it so addicting. I believe if you don' t get atleast a lil' bit of buck fever then there is something wrong with you. Just try to relax and concentrate on a very small area and release just like practice. Good Luck!!
Old 10-04-2003, 11:31 PM

I haven' t gotten a deer with a bow yet, I passed on a couple of does last year, mostly cause I wanted to see what they would do, or if they would notice me. anyway, when ever I have a shot opportunity I always take a nice breath, and hold it for a second, and it seems to help me. This year will be the year for me. I have practiced more this year than ever, and am feeling confident.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:55 PM
Fork Horn

The first time i had a large bull elk at 15 yards tearing a tree from the ground i just about had heart failure and shot probably 7 feet over his back.

The problem was that i had no specific target in mind other than the elk as a whole.

Now once i decide that an animal is a shooter I pick a spot. A ruffeled piece of hair or some slight discolorization in the kill zone and i force myself to look at nothing else.

concentration will be the key

just imagine that the deers heart is a soda can and forget the rest

Look forward to hearing about your next sucess story!
Old 10-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

thanks guys. I look forward to trying some of this advice. I thought about running around the yard a few times to get my adrenaline going and then shooting at the deer target. I think I have been just shooting at the deer and not concentrating on a smaller part of the deer. I will try this and see how it works.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stop watching those guys on tv.

They have embedded a little seed in your mind that you have to shake and all that when a deer comes along.

We did not get these hunting shows back in Australia when I was growing up so I do get a laugh at these guys specially when they whisper after taking a shot with a 7 mag what dont they want to scare the deer.

Only once in my 42 years of hunting have I ever had a cold sweat and shaked.
That was when I took a Water Buffalo at 10 yards knowing full well if he spotted me I would not be here today.

Old 10-05-2003, 03:32 PM

pick a spot and don' t focus on any thing else. Controll your breathing and let let fly.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take deep breathes......concentrate on one spot and how your going to hit that spot.....don' t lose focus on horns....stay patient and draw and aim smoothly....remember perfect form and don' t lose focuse when you release the arrow.

That' s the best I can do to describe how I don' t get to lost in buck fever.

Quick Reply: Taming deer fever???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.