HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Begginer Bow Purchase (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/388448-begginer-bow-purchase.html)

Pyrodex209 12-28-2013 11:13 AM

Begginer Bow Purchase

Hello All, I've been hunting Whitetail in southern Ohio since I was about 9 or 10, always shotgun or muzzleloader. A friend of mine has been trying to talk me into bow hunting. I resisted at first, but I think I'm going to give it a try. It appeals to me for multiple reasons. Mainly the season is longer and I'll have more chances to hunt.

He is selling his PSE laser from 1995 or 1996 it comes with practice arrows, hunting arrows, quiver, trigger, pro arrow rest, sight and he claims "a lot of kills". He is asking $200.00.

Just wondering if you guys think this is a good deal. Any advice would be appreciated this is like a whole new world to me. If you were talking guns I'd be fine, but I've never even held a compound bow.

Thanks In Advance.

HDMontana 12-28-2013 06:02 PM

To be frankly honest and IMO, it's too much. A bow that is almost 20 years old is really not worth much of anything. I'm sure you could get a much newer one for about the same amount. Unfortunately, bows do not hold much resale value after they are a few years old. You could probably pick up a brand new 2013 PSE Stinger package on clearance for not much more than what your friend wants. 2014 bows are already showing up in shops and online. They will want to push the 2013 models out the door. Like I said, this is just my honest opinion. Others will chime in and give you theirs. Good luck. HD.

MZS 12-28-2013 07:35 PM

I would not buy that bow. I have a 2000 era Hoyt that quite frankly is junk compared to modern bows. Can not even get $95 for it! I am guessing this one will be similar. You will probably get a large clunky bow with minimum let-off that creaks and perhaps is not dependable in cold weather. Your better bet is to go to http://www.huntersfriend.com , a site recommended by someone on this forum - with their package they tune and site in your bow to shoot bullseyes at 25 yds and it is ready to hunt, arrows, case, and all. Myself I am going the crossbow route otherwise I would for sure be getting my package at this place.

Pyrodex209 12-29-2013 09:41 AM

THANKS! Your guys advice has really helped. Like I said this is all new to me. I will do a little more research and look into buying a newer bow.

Valentine 12-29-2013 01:08 PM

Ha, I have a bow that old

It's a fixed draw length and has this large hand grip. Bought it when I didn't know if my shoulder would last a month.

Got it at a cheap price. The draw length was long and not many archers palmed basketballs. The grip was that large.

Just got a used parka. It was probably never worn. On the second walk, I reached out both arms. I laughed. Somebody with sasquatch length arms has to wear that parka.

MichiganWhitetails74 12-30-2013 06:25 PM

Its too much. I'd like to see you get into a Brand new bow for 300 - 350.

I just bought a Hoyt ProHawk 2013 on ebay for a friend of mine. 325 on ebay.

For 200 more you can outfit a brand new bow. And you will feel how smooth things have become since the mid 90's.

Wilcam47 01-01-2014 09:48 AM

without knowing if the draw length is correct and IF you can find modules to replace it if possible, its better you just get a new one. Because most likely a new string is needed and with that you are almost to the price of a new bow. Id go to a bow shop and try shooting a few different bows to see what you like. They are fun and you can target shoot or hunt with them. Once you get a kill with a bow other forms of hunting aren't quite as enjoyable...that's just me though. I will kill a deer or whatever with a rifle but I enjoy shooting one with a bow better.

Nomercy448 01-02-2014 07:35 AM

A 1995 or 1996 PSE probably cost $200 brand new. The extra kit doesn't add anything at this point.