Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Shoulder shot doe >

Shoulder shot doe

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoulder shot doe

Old 12-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Spike

Default Shoulder shot doe

I shot a doe, who was broadside to quartering away at 18 yds tonight at 430p tonight (65lbs with a 100 grain Killzone 2 blade). I heard a loud pop and saw the doe move away (not running but at a fast walking pace) with the arrow sticking out. Shot looked to be in the shoulder She moved to thicket about 40yds from the shot and I never saw her come out. About 15 minutes later a small buck comes in and jumps her up and pushes her away while sniffing her rear. She walks away looking hurt and moves to another thicket about 30yds away. The buck follows her into the thicket and then leaves alone.

I climb down 30 minutes later and find NO blood or hair at the impact area. I follow the trail she used and about 15 yds away find my arrow. About 6" of the arrow stayed inside her and about 3" of the broken shaft is covered in blood and hair. I go to the area where she bedded down and find the first drops of blood. It is bright red(no bubbles) and isn't pouring out but it's easy to follow by flashlight towards the second thicket. As I approached I thought I heard something and I shut my light off. I walked about 10 steps to the right and turned my light on towards the thicket. I saw a set of eyes and the deer looked to be bedded (not sure if it was my deer or another one). I shut my light off and snuck back to the truck.

Going back in the morning. What are the chances that deer will be dead in that bed?
Old 12-20-2013, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Real good if she only moved that small distance when the buck got her up and that is probably where she'll be today!!! You probably shouldn't have gone over as quickly as you did, but this AM I imagine she will be right where you saw her last based on the description and depth of the hit.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-20-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck with the recovery... I've done that a couple of times.... just this year on a 6pt. Only got 3-4" penetration.
Buck is alive and well back on cam w/ a small limp.
If you didn't get all the way through and you didn't effect her mobility well, she may make it... but certainly give it your all in am looking... if you did get enough in you may just have hit one lung, etc... it will take awhile for her to die.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, it could go either way. My buddy shot a nice buck during bow season - similar situation- hit the buck in the front shoulder with not much penetration. Another guy that hunts with us ended up shooting that buck during gun season 1 month later. We found the arrowhead still imbedded in the buck's shoulder. He looked like he had lost a little weight, but otherwise was healthy and probably would have survived if he wasn't taken in gun season.

Another time a friend's son shoulder shot a doe, and we were able to find her after a fairly long search. In that case, the arrow had penetrated 1 lung.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

One lung hits are tough. Deer can live on one lung. I shot a nice buck last year in Muzzleloading season that had an arrow inside the chest cavity and took out one lung. Deer was otherwise healthy. Not surprised by the lack of blood without a pass-through. 6" is a good amount of penetration on a deer that are only ~ 12" wide.

I bet the deer is found close to where you last saw the eyes in the thicket. I would stalk the bloodtrail and be vigilant to see if you can spot the deer ahead. There is a chance the deer is still alive and in the area. You may be able to get a 2nd shot. Good Luck!
Old 12-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Spike

****UPDATE****

Searched for about 6 hrs this morning. Lost the blood trail about 50 yds from where I left her last night. I did find a 5" chunk of her tail lying on the ground where I marked last blood last night. I was certain she would be laying in the thicket half chewed up but she was gone. When I grunted to stop her last night she turned back to look and rolled her shoulder back. Instead of tucking the arrow tight behind and have it come out of her chest it hit bone and probably shot forward in the chest cavity. Lesson learned.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default A little broadhead...

can sure get lost on the bigger body of a deer.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Valentine
can sure get lost on the bigger body of a deer.
Thats why I tie butcher knives to the tips of my arrows. Bigger blade, less chance of missing.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

which Killzone? One with a chisel tip?
Old 12-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by beprepn8
which Killzone? One with a chisel tip?
No, it was the other Killzone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.