Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow shot deer

Old 11-30-2013, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bow shot deer

Decided to go bow hunting in expanded this am and around 7:55 I shot a 4 pointer and it was a good shot had good lung blood on ground and arrow. I thought I was going to give him an hour or so. Then about 8:15 a coyote came by and I tried shooting him. The coyote proceeded to go down same trail as deer. So I got down from tree stand and tried to find him before coyotes. I think they bumped him and ran him until he fell over. I think this because everytime I found puddles of blood I found coyote tracks. The blood trail went for about a mile up and down ridges and ravines. I couldn't find anymore blood after crawling around on my hands and knees for an hour looking and this was at 3:30pm. Then I proceeded to search area until dark. I feel bad for the deer. I am disappointed because it would have been my first bow deer
Old 11-30-2013, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry, but it happens. Now, get back out there, he's not the only buck running around your woods! The harder you try, the better your odds.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nature can an will be cruel an unpredictable always. Just start hunting again.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default May just put more pressure on hunters

Coyotes around may force hunters to drop a deer within 100 yards, or else they take the chance of losing the deer.

I use to swamp hunt with a gun. Dropping the deer on the spot was a requirement. Knowing how to be very accurate became more important.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
Coyotes around may force hunters to drop a deer within 100 yards, or else they take the chance of losing the deer.

I use to swamp hunt with a gun. Dropping the deer on the spot was a requirement. Knowing how to be very accurate became more important.
That just seems crazy to me. We have a lot of coyotes where I'm at but they are not enticed so easily. If they were we would be shooting them.

So what is the story? If yotes are so easily enticed in your area what keeps you from just shooting the ...... out of them?
Old 12-02-2013, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

We do shoot them and trap them. Theres been 5 females trapped on property in last 2 weeks
Old 12-02-2013, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just different parts of the country I guess. Like I said we have a lot of them but having to worry about then getting your deer because it ran 100 yards? That is crazy. I'd be shooting them on gut piles and deer scraps until they quit coming to them or they were thinned out.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

This is the first time I have had a coyote run off my shot deer, but I know there in the woods. I just didn't think there was that many, now I know. The two coyotes might have been chasing that buck right to me, who knows. What part of country are you from rockport?
Old 12-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by croc2116
This is the first time I have had a coyote run off my shot deer, but I know there in the woods. I just didn't think there was that many, now I know. The two coyotes might have been chasing that buck right to me, who knows. What part of country are you from rockport?
I'm in IL. Hunt in pike, Adams, and Scott counties

The yotes just don't seem to bother deer much here from my observation.

They do scavenge deer but its not like they are all over it as soon as it hits the ground.

Last edited by rockport; 12-02-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.