HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Got a buck with my bow on video (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/387540-got-buck-my-bow-video.html)

jmac33 11-26-2013 12:42 PM

Got a buck with my bow on video

Got a buck with my bow on video. It was awesome. Check it out and let me know what you think. Hope everybody season is going well stay safe. Good hunting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt3MdJ7xJMs

oldsmellhound 12-09-2013 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by jmac33 (Post 4106130)
Man I didn't think it was that bad to get not one reply. Gotta love fellow hunters! Well good luck on the rest of the season to all and stay safe.

I guess I'll be the jerk here.

First of all, congrats on your harvest. That looks like a nice buck. Your video was shot pretty well too- it's always nice to have video of a hunt.

People may not be responding because of the questionable nature of the shot you took. Now I could be wrong, but in the video it looks like you took a sharply quartering-to or frontal shot and then hit the deer in the spine.

Most bowhunters would consider that to be a very risky, if not unethical shot.

Don't get me wrong, I have taken risky shots too when buck fever got the best of me. But if I had taken a very risky shot, then by luck hit the deer in the spine and dropped it, I would not be posting the video on the internet and expect people to start electronically slapping me on the back. Instead, I would have thanked the good Lord that I cleanly took the deer and not made a fuss about it to other people.

Again, congrats on your harvest- I'm not diminishing that.

JonnyNov 12-12-2013 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound (Post 4106253)
I guess I'll be the jerk here.

First of all, congrats on your harvest. That looks like a nice buck. Your video was shot pretty well too- it's always nice to have video of a hunt.

People may not be responding because of the questionable nature of the shot you took. Now I could be wrong, but in the video it looks like you took a sharply quartering-to or frontal shot and then hit the deer in the spine.

Most bowhunters would consider that to be a very risky, if not unethical shot.

Don't get me wrong, I have taken risky shots too when buck fever got the best of me. But if I had taken a very risky shot, then by luck hit the deer in the spine and dropped it, I would not be posting the video on the internet and expect people to start electronically slapping me on the back. Instead, I would have thanked the good Lord that I cleanly took the deer and not made a fuss about it to other people.

Again, congrats on your harvest- I'm not diminishing that.

I just want to get this straight? You are so accurate with your bow and you can judge distance without a range finder so well that you can have a group tighter than 2 inches? I find that extremely hard to believe. 2 inches lower and it would have been a double lung shot. And another thing, I was the one video taping the hunt, the only reason you think that it was a straight on shot was because of the angle of the camera. That deer was in no way, shape, or form facing him or strongly quartering to. Back handed insults like this are the reason i dont visit this forum anymore and why the sport of hunting is dying. One positive comment doesn't counter act all the negativity in your post. The size of a deer, the shot on a deer or any other thing that people want to pick apart is exactly why no one wants to brag about their harvests. As long as we are ethical hunters and are out there for the right reasons, enjoying nature, feeding our families, introducing kids to a sport, etc., we need to support each other and not have no-it-all, negative comments and insults about everything.

Thunderchicken217 12-12-2013 11:17 AM

If your not open to criticism then maybe you shouldnt be putting your hunts on you tube or this forum. I to agree that regardless if you were running the camera or not that deer was quartering to. Regardless of your angle to deer. All you have to do is slow the video down and look at the arrow in relation to the deer. Kind of hard to hit a deer in the spine with the arrow wizzing by his head and over his front shoulder unless its quartering to you. I personally dont care what type of shots you take but if you cant handle criticism then dont set yourself up for it by allowing the entire world to view your hunt. I did think the video was shot well and was easy to watch without a lot of camera movement. Was also a fair sized buck and congrats to the shooter. If oldhound thought your guy took a bad shot I'd like to know how he is hurting hunting by saying so. Sounds to me like constructive criticism and maybe he has no clue what type of hunter or what experience you have deer hunting and if you didnt know any better about those type shots then making someone aware isnt a bad thing. Since you obviously are experienced enough to know better then dont see the problem with his comments. Hunting isnt dying because someone accused your buddy of taking an unethical shot. If hunting is dying its do to the commercialization of the sport and everyone under the sun starting their own home made hunting show. Maybe get your facts right before you bash a guy for a simple criticism of a shot angle. You tell me what does more harm to the sport, an opinion on a shot angle or everyone in the world being able to see that deer kicking and thrashing on the ground and taking some time to expire. Every hunter does some good and some bad for this great sport but dont come on here preaching about hunting is dying because someone didnt like your buddys shot when you have a deer kicking and thrashing on you tube for all to see. Thats the crap antis look for not the criticism of a shot angle.

SecondChance 12-12-2013 11:47 AM

Nice deer!!!! Ya'll always seem to have the Canada Geese up your way, send them down to us in So. Il!!!! LOL!!! Well, upon reviewing the video both regular speed and slo-mo, I have to fully agree with oldsmellhound, that deer was shot on a quartering to angle. You can see the buck slightly lift his eyes/head at the arrow and then drop. He just didn't drop enough to clear the arrow!!!! No matter the camera angle, it is clearly a quartering to shot. Congrats all the same on the biggest buck of your hunting career to date!!!

early in 12-13-2013 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderchicken217 (Post 4106841)
If your not open to criticism then maybe you shouldnt be putting your hunts on you tube or this forum. I to agree that regardless if you were running the camera or not that deer was quartering to. Regardless of your angle to deer. All you have to do is slow the video down and look at the arrow in relation to the deer. Kind of hard to hit a deer in the spine with the arrow wizzing by his head and over his front shoulder unless its quartering to you. I personally dont care what type of shots you take but if you cant handle criticism then dont set yourself up for it by allowing the entire world to view your hunt. I did think the video was shot well and was easy to watch without a lot of camera movement. Was also a fair sized buck and congrats to the shooter. If oldhound thought your guy took a bad shot I'd like to know how he is hurting hunting by saying so. Sounds to me like constructive criticism and maybe he has no clue what type of hunter or what experience you have deer hunting and if you didnt know any better about those type shots then making someone aware isnt a bad thing. Since you obviously are experienced enough to know better then dont see the problem with his comments. Hunting isnt dying because someone accused your buddy of taking an unethical shot. If hunting is dying its do to the commercialization of the sport and everyone under the sun starting their own home made hunting show. Maybe get your facts right before you bash a guy for a simple criticism of a shot angle. You tell me what does more harm to the sport, an opinion on a shot angle or everyone in the world being able to see that deer kicking and thrashing on the ground and taking some time to expire. Every hunter does some good and some bad for this great sport but dont come on here preaching about hunting is dying because someone didnt like your buddys shot when you have a deer kicking and thrashing on you tube for all to see. Thats the crap antis look for not the criticism of a shot angle.

Totally agree. Good post. And yes, it was a quartering to shot, but I've seen worse.

oldsmellhound 12-14-2013 01:13 PM

I see you deleted your second post where you were basically giving the rest of us a hard time for not commenting on your video. This post was the reason I originally gave my honest opinion.

You wanted comments, I gave my honest comments.

I thought your video was well done, and I congratulated you for taking a nice buck.

I also gave my honest opinion that it was a risky, quartering-to shot that ended up with a spined deer - In my opinion, nothing to brag to others about.

Taking ethical shots is an important part of bowhunting. Deer are magnificent creatures that deserve our utmost respect by taking the best shots possible. This is especially magnified with bow hunting. You can get away with taking risky shots with a rifle or muzzleloader pretty often, but risky bow shots more often than not end up with a wounded deer that may or may not be recovered.

I have given guys that I hunt with a hard time as well for taking risky bow shots, so I am not singling you out. But if you post your hunt for all the world to see, you should expect comments, some you may not like.

rockport 12-14-2013 01:36 PM

I don't think the shot was risky. He was quartering but not to much IMO.

IMO the problem occurred with stopping the deer to early. The deer was alert and jumped the string. Looks like that is the reason for the spine shot to me rather than the angle. I don't see how a broadside shot would make the arrow hot lower.

Either way unless the video is cut the deer died as quick as could be expected with a bow.

The ethics police are pretty over the top around here IMO. There was nothing at all wrong with that shot angle. Personally I would have waited in that particular case because the deer was fixing to give up an even better shot.

Somehow people seem to think a deer kicking for 45 seconds is worse than a deer running for 45 seconds.......out of sight out of mind I guess.

MichiganWhitetails74 12-30-2013 07:04 PM

I'll step in here and give my opinion.

Great production! and awesome hunt. I film my own hunts and its awesome to have the video of the hunt.

You know your equipment and you made the shot. You guys did a great job putting this together. And you can see the passion and dedication you had putting this all together for us to see. Awesome!