Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Range Finder Advice >

Range Finder Advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Range Finder Advice

Old 11-25-2013, 02:23 AM
Spike

Default Range Finder Advice

My son is an avid hunter. He uses a shotgun and also a bow. I would like to get him a rangefinder but I know nothing about them. I am aware that they are expensive but I don't want to break the bank. Yesterday he missed a buck with his bow because he misjudged the distance.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

Tell us more like what state will he be hunting mostly. Does he hunt Elk, Pronghorne as well as Deer? What is the terrain hilly, mountainous or flat land. The range finders today are great some have the arc feature which would be great for mountains but not really necessary for flat land. One that will range out to 400 - 600 yards will probably fit his needs. The range finders on the "Black Friday" sales would probably fit what he needs and would save you some money. You can also check out craigs list. Some others might offer some more suggestions but if you answer these questions I am sure some one will suggest on for you.

CVG Ohio
Old 11-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Spike

Right now he is in the Army stationed at Fort Campbell. I guess it's flat there. Next year he could be in Texas. He started hunting in Ohio.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

if you can..spend the exrra money and get him a Vortex...it has an unconditional warrany...the cheaper ones tend to last a few years and then fail with no choice but to buy another
Old 11-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Simmons LRF 600. Good to 600 yards and you can get them for $120 if not $99 on sale. I only ever use my range finder if Im in a new stand or with my climber. Range a few trees and pick a shooting lane. You should have to use a range finder before every shot.... unless I guess you are out West in the open hunting.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

Anyone have any experience with this range finder> Simmons Vertical Laser Rangefinder

Any insight would be appreciated..
Old 05-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Spike

Leupold full draw or Bushnell Chuck Adams edition. I personally own both of them and they are great there is a big price difference but I really like them both. I let my clients use them while bowhunting and they all have great things to say about them.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well this post is some six month old and probably out of date. But I still use my ol right arm to judge 20 yards. It got down to practice, which unfortunately is slower to learn than rangefinders. But fortunately the right arm is usually with me and working.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Nikon Archers Choice...love mine!
Old 06-18-2014, 06:46 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Which range finder has a narrow beam.