Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Over hunting your stand or woods? >

Over hunting your stand or woods?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Over hunting your stand or woods?

Old 11-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Over hunting your stand or woods?

Is it worse to over hunt your area or just not hunt as much? Is there such thing as over hunting your area? I feel that its better to be out there hunting more rather then sitting at home because you cannot harvest one from home. What's everyone's opinion on to hunt or not to hunt.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Yes you can overhunt an area.
Yes I am overhunting mine even though I know better.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

To me this is a sticky subject. How much land do you have to hunt? Your area you hunt and stand locations are all factors. I'm fortunate enough that I have a lot of land to still hunt and I probably don't sit in the same stand more than twice. BUT, if I keep hunting the same stand or location and continue seeing deer I will keep going there. Some people don't have the luxury of having a lot of land and will hunt what they have as much as possible. Play the wind right and keep hunting hard. Good luck to you
Old 11-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

I have 40 acres that is part of a 400-500 acrea wood lot plus 100's of acres of farm fields. I have 9 stands set up on my land and never sit in the same one twice. I like to give a 3-4 day rest in between sits. Not ideal, but I am not going to sit home either.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not hunting an area much is better IMO but we hunt for fun so its your call. Yes less hunting in an area absolutely = better hunting in that area
Old 11-15-2013, 02:35 AM
Typical Buck

It depends on your entrance and exits/ what happens in the stand. If the deer get spooked by you entering or exiting consecutive days they are gonna know somethings up. Same thing if you get picked off while in the stand they are gonna know where to look and get you every time. Cant hurt to let it sit for a day or two and hunt somewhere else if possible.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default dang, you mean to say

that hunting one place could be bad, and hunters will be forced to carry their tree stands to many locations. Now how are they expected to do that?
And how are they suppose to give up those pies, cakes, 15 course meals. potato chips, enchiladas, and those delicious chocolate creme eclairs. Just to move a tree stand?
What a revolting development that would be?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes you can over hunt an area.

Will I still do it, yes I am going back into an area this weekend but I only do this because I hunt public land. The pressure is constant and constantly moving the deer. If you own your own land I would think it depends on how much property you got available. Smaller 10-20 acres would move around the property a bit and give it rests in between so you dont push all deer off your property. If your lucky with a larger tract 100 plus I would continue hunting it just moving around the property if you notice changes in the deer movements.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. "Over hunting" might mean one of two different things to you...

If you're talking about "over hunting", as in "going hunting in one spot too much", then it depends on how much impact you are making. If you are stealthy and low impact, animals might not know you are there, so you could hunt it every day and never drive them off. If they DO know you are there everyday, they will pattern you and move away from the spot, at least at the times they know you are there.

If you are talking about "over hunting", as in the "successful harvest of too many animals above the sustainability rate of the property", then that is NEVER a good thing, unless you are trying to knock out a population. When I go on depredation calls, I kill every coyote I see, because I'm trying to "overhunt" the area, and destroy the population. When I hunt doe for meat, then I intentionally leave some doe to walk so I know I'll have a healthy population back in the future.

So VISITING one spot too often depends how much impact you make, a good hunter might never 'over-visit' one spot. But the other meaning of 'overhunting' one spot, referring to KILLING GAME in one spot too often such that the population can't recover, is never productive.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bowman4440
It depends on your entrance and exits/ what happens in the stand. If the deer get spooked by you entering or exiting consecutive days they are gonna know somethings up. Same thing if you get picked off while in the stand they are gonna know where to look and get you every time.
Very true! Good post. I think entry is THE most important part of the hunt. I climbed my tree yesterday and as soon as I got seated (literally) and pulled up my bow I had 2 doe in the thicket 20yrds behind me! Yep, entry is big time important.

Last edited by early in; 11-15-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.