Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Too light of arrow. >

Too light of arrow.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too light of arrow.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Too light of arrow.

I just shot 2 deer this past weekend with my new arrows and I am now gettn rid of the old(New actually) and going with my new ones. I just went to the GT Velocity XT 400's for bit of more speed, flatter trajectory, hopefully a bit more penetration. NOT!!! I lost a doe last year that should have been recovered, did not penetrate. 65# DW with 27-1/2", 345grn arrows. Just lost another one a month ago, same thing shoulder on opposite side stopped arrow, did not penetrate/exit. Just went over to FMJ 400's, 404grns, and BLEW through 2 deer this past weekend. Went completely through the scapula on both shoulders and exited JUST over the shoulder joint on opposite shoulder of a nice heavy So.Il 3-1/2yr old cullbuck and then a fat adult doe. Less then 5 minutes apart, fell within 40yds of being shot and only 60yds apart!!!!!!! Shot spots were only 10yds apart!!! I am now selling the 10 GT's for a few more FMJ's. I got caught up in the speed game and it cost me dearly!!!!
Old 11-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use 350 grain arrows and used 337 grain arrows for a few years and never had penetration problems if I did my part. If I make a good shot my arrow is buried in the dirt every time. I guess with the heavier arrows you have more room for error if you hit to far forward but with the lighter arrows I have more room for error as far as yardageand pin selection.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think broadhead selection and shot placement are the killing factors. If you penetrated enough to hit the opposite shoulder. That should have been a dead deer.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of factors for penetration, but here's some really straight forward "math-for-fun"...

Don't have your numbers for speed, but I played with different arrow weights with one of my bows last year, had a very similar experience. As an engineer, I started asking questions, then recalled that PENETRATION IS ABOUT MOMENTUM!!!

So here's how my bow shook out, KE was just about flatline no matter what my arrow weight is, makes the math easy, at that time was 88-89ft.lbs. 383grn arrows were 323fps, 420grners were 310fps, 350's were 335fps.

So yeah, the 335fps with the 350grn arrows seemed REALLY cool. BUT: Newton's Law for conservation of MOMENTUM is what is important, not kinetic energy.

The 350grn arrow at 335 is 16.9lb.ft./sec, the 420grn arrow was 18.5lb.ft./sec, about 10% more push-through-the-shoulder power.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:53 AM
Spike

I think the biggest factor is broad head and shot placement, if you hit the off side shoulder then the arrow already went through both lungs, and should have been dead.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by deernutz
I think broadhead selection and shot placement are the killing factors. If you penetrated enough to hit the opposite shoulder. That should have been a dead deer.
100% agree with this one. Too many people put the blame on the equipment and not their shot placement or lack of follow up after a shot.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeBauche11
100% agree with this one. Too many people put the blame on the equipment and not their shot placement or lack of follow up after a shot.
My 40 years of bowhunting would confirm this. I would hae to say to the OP that even with the FMJ arrows, if you are constantly trying to blow through shoulder of scapula then you are aiming too close to the bones.

I have regularly gotten complete pass throughs with a 315 gr arrow doing a paltry 237fps and still had 6" of arrow in the ground. Do the math and it comes up to 39ft/lbs of energy. Deer have gone as little as 30 yards and as far as 90 yards.

The trick is too read the tag on the inside of my top limb which says, "Stay Away From the Bone" and shoot 4" to 5" behind the shoulder.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeBauche11
yup...why do people aim for the shoulders with bow?? busting through the ribs just behind the deers shoulder is best...double lung or heart shot its not going far... look how high the shoulder blade is..
Attached Thumbnails Too light of arrow.-vitals.jpg  
Old 11-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
yup...why do people aim for the shoulders with bow?? busting through the ribs just behind the deers shoulder is best...double lung or heart shot its not going far... look how high the shoulder blade is..
For me it was a habit caused by gun hunting. I don't do it any more but It took a minute to adjust. I still shoot shoulder with a gun and ribs with a bow.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing that deserves more attention is that when you hit right behind the shoulder with a bow sometimes when the deer moves it leg it pulls the skin away from the hole so the hole in the skin doesn't line up with the hole in the body. The you get no blood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.