Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Why do you bow hunt >

Why do you bow hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do you bow hunt

Old 10-30-2013, 09:11 AM
Spike

Default Why do you bow hunt

I am a some what new bow hunter and I was wondering what most people value about bowhunting?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome...its up close and personal, quiet, challenging, and by far the most rewarding! IMO nothing even compares except for bear hunting...and maybe next year I'll try to take a bear with my bow..
Old 10-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Spike

There is nothing tougher in the world of hunting then to get a buck to walk within your bow range and putting a double lung shot on him. To be honest, I love everything bow hunting has to offer. The sweat equity I put into every spot I hunt is strenuous. The next years season starts as soon as last season ends for me. From scouting, shed hunting, and planting. Its all for a reason. Thats what I love about it, the time and hard work you put in isn't always rewarded, but when it is. Holy crap, that is one of the greatest feelings in the world.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is nothing tougher in the world of hunting then to get a buck to walk within your bow range and putting a double lung shot on him.
I could think of several things tougher...leopard, lion, grizzly, cape buffalo, gator/croc, hyena, wolf, coyote, and pronghorn. Just to name a few. Bow hunting away from my home court has been a real eye and mind opener.

To be honest, I love everything bow hunting has to offer. The sweat equity I put into every spot I hunt is strenuous. The next years season starts as soon as last season ends for me. From scouting, shed hunting, and planting. Its all for a reason. Thats what I love about it, the time and hard work you put in isn't always rewarded, but when it is. Holy crap, that is one of the greatest feelings in the world.
Absolutely spot on-minus the planting part (for me anyway)!

Moreover, I like it when my hunts begin at 300 yards, not end.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Aside from the enjoyment of having to get the animals in so close, I do it because it takes my deer season from 2 weeks to 4 months... That results in a whole lot more time in the stand, and also is much more peaceful because there is not a symphony of rifle shots going on the whole time.

Primarily though, it is just getting to watch the deer at such close range. That is my favorite part. I have shot WAY more deer with a video camera within 20 yards than I ever will with my bow or gun.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Spike

[QUOTE=iamyourhuckleberry;4093406]I could think of several things tougher...leopard, lion, grizzly, cape buffalo, gator/croc, hyena, wolf, coyote, and pronghorn. Just to name a few. Bow hunting away from my home court has been a real eye and mind opener.

touche. haha. FIne, theres nothings harder in Illinois ....
Old 10-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Spike

[QUOTE=iamyourhuckleberry;4093406]I could think of several things tougher...leopard, lion, grizzly, cape buffalo, gator/croc, hyena, wolf, coyote, and pronghorn. Just to name a few. Bow hunting away from my home court has been a real eye and mind opener.

touche. haha Fine nothing tougher in illinois...
Old 10-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

I experience things out bow hunting that I never would while rifle hunting. HD.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why do you bow hunt
Because rifle season doesn't open until after Thanksgiving.

I just love deer hunting so I'll hunt in whatever season is open.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Because rifle season doesn't open until after Thanksgiving.

I just love deer hunting so I'll hunt in whatever season is open.
This.

I shot a bow as a kid for small game, shot a few deer with my granddad's recurve when I was in high school just for kicks. Started shooting competitive 3D and indoor archery in high school, so I got into compound bows. Never planned to become a bowhunter until I got to college and life started getting in the way of hunting. Rifle season is 10days, archery season is 3months. Pretty simple.

I love shooting archery, and I love bow hunting, but it's a tool that I use to pursue something I love. Alternatively, I was born to be behind a rifle. Laying down over a stock and easing into a trigger makes me warm all over, every time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.