Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
best weight arrows to use with 50lb bow >

best weight arrows to use with 50lb bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

best weight arrows to use with 50lb bow

Old 10-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Spike

Default best weight arrows to use with 50lb bow

I would like to know what would the best arrow weight ot use with a 50lb bow. right now i have 150s but they fishtail all over the place and i cant seem to get a good group. Are they too light or is it something else
Old 10-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brand of arrow an the type would help a lot. How munch do they weigh?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arrows need to be at least 250 grains. 300 would be better.

This chart should give you what you need.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_...deflection.htm

Fishtailing all over the place with field points is probably a tuning problem.

Last edited by rockport; 10-29-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ideally, imho, you should shoot the heaviest arrow that your bow can accurately shooy.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by AR Bowhunter
Brand of arrow an the type would help a lot. How munch do they weigh?
they are carbon express muntiy 150 grain
Old 10-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gunnysack
they are carbon express muntiy 150 grain
150 isn't the grains. Those are 8.06 grains per inch.

If your arrow is 25-27 inches long and has an 85 grain tip its the right arrow or 100 grain tip if you arrow is 25-26 inches. If your arrows are 26 inches with 100 grain tip your in good shape at about 350 grains.

Again though if your fish fishtailing with field points your probably having contact with your fetching somewhere.

Last edited by rockport; 10-29-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

As Rockport says, 150 is not the weight of the arrow but the spine designation. The 150 computes to about a 500 spine. Depending on the length of the arrows, point weight, draw length of the bow, cam style, and draw weight these might not be stiff enough. But assuming they are then you need to have your bow properly and tune it to shoot those arrows. Part of the tuning would be to ensure the fletching isn't hitting the rest or cables which could be part of the problem.

I think you need to get to a reputable shop and get some hands on help, unless you know what you're doing. Many guys think mounting a rest, nocking point, and sight on a bow by a shop is tuning, but it's not. Basic setup and tuning are two different things and a shop can help with both.

Another thing a shop can do is help you with learning some decent shooting form. This is a must if you are going to shoot well. A bow is nothing more than a simple machine that uses a block and tackle system. As a machine it will do the same thing for every shot, assuming you shoot it the same. As such, even without being tuned it will shoot arrows to the point. They might fly ugly getting there, but most times if it won't group then it's a problem with the shooter not being consistent.

Last edited by BGfisher; 10-30-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Spike

i have a "new funnel rest". could it be the problem with the fletching hitting it?
Old 10-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gunnysack
i have a "new funnel rest". could it be the problem with the fletching hitting it?
If I'm picturing the right rest isn't it a shoot through rest? Supposed to make contact?

Maybe its not lined up right?

You are having the problem with field points right?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Spike

yes it does it with field points and broad heads. whats weird though it starts off straight, then it makes a sharp turn right, then it straightens back out.... now my arrows are shooting 12+ inches right and im resulting in many broken arrows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.