HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Sight/vision problems. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/386350-sight-vision-problems.html)

rockport 10-24-2013 09:46 PM

Sight/vision problems.

Since the sights have turned round I'm having trouble seeing through them. I can see the pins fine but with 3 pins in a 1 5/8 hole and my peep lining up with the sight I just can't see the deer good enough,

Its no problem on a field edge or a target but once I get in the woods and the sun starts to go down I just can't see the deer good enough through that little hole.

Any advice? It seems like more and more these things are being built for target shooting more than hunting.

Ive been practicing both eyes open but 30 years of closing one eye is a hard habit to break.

hardwoodhank 10-24-2013 10:01 PM

That's why I have the Apex with low blue light. I know what you mean though, its just something you need to practice and sometimes it helps to take your eye out of the peep and sight to make sure the deer is in a good shooting position, broadside, quartering, etc. then while in full draw slowly go back to your peep and remember what you saw outside your sight and take your time if possible to get a view in your head of how he looked outside of the pins and ring and set the pin on the boiler room and release. Unfortunately, if you don't like your sight all cluttered, take out a pin or 2 or get yourself one that gives you the view you need. Its considered a handicap if you cant overcome it.
:eek2:

rockport 10-25-2013 04:50 AM

Ive got a blue light as well. It just makes it worse for me as I can already see the pins just fine and the light just makes it harder to see beyond the sight.

I might just have to go back to the big square sight. Ive shot just fine with that for 20 years. The small round sight lining up up with my peep gives me a little more accuracy long range in the broad daylight with a bullseye to shoot at but its just not working for me in the woods at all.

I find my self doing exactly what your saying. Taking my eye out of the peep to see the deer and back in to try to get the pin where I want it.

It would be pointless for me to take the pins out because my accuracy at long range is the only advantage of having the small round sight in the first place.

Edventurous 11-07-2013 03:25 PM

Part of the problem has to do with the aging process. As we get older, the Iris (part of the eye which gets larger and smaller to regulate the amount of light getting to the retina) does not open up as much as when we were younger. Thus, less light getting in the eye means it's more difficult to see in low light conditions.

rockport 11-07-2013 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Edventurous (Post 4095745)
Part of the problem has to do with the aging process. As we get older, the Iris (part of the eye which gets larger and smaller to regulate the amount of light getting to the retina) does not open up as much as when we were younger. Thus, less light getting in the eye means it's more difficult to see in low light conditions.

for sure.

Ive got a bigger peep on now and using both eyes is starting to feel natural. Seems to be better but I really can't tell for sure until I get back in a live situation. It was fine before until I got down in the woods at sunset and had a hard time picking the kill zone out through the sight.