Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Tree size (diameter) for self climbers? >

Tree size (diameter) for self climbers?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree size (diameter) for self climbers?

Old 10-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tree size (diameter) for self climbers?

I have an older Summit Viper self climber tree stand and was wondering how big of a tree I could climb using it? I have read where they recommend trees 8"-20" in diameter. I have used this stand over 40 times since I have had it and most trees have been smaller trees. I recently found a nice hunting spot with plenty of rubs, scrapes and trails and all the trees in this certain area are much bigger trees, mostly around 24"-36" trees. I was just wondering if anyone else has climbed "bigger" trees with their climbing tree stands? Thanks and Good Hunting.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

Depends on how tight the stand is when you get it on the tree. If you get it on the tree and can still move it,it should be ok but more than likley if the tree is to big it will be next to impossiple to climb with.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I realize the trees taper down when climbing, I might be alright in one of them that starts out roughly 20"-24". I just found this site last weekend or I would have already tried my stand on it lol, that's why I was wondering if anyone else has climbed bigger trees than specified. Thanks for your response and Good Hunting.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

If its tapers just adjust the stand to where it sits at a angle (up toward the tree best you can) then it will level out as you move up as the tree's diameter gets smaller. If it tapers too much then you either have to adjust the stand and can be a done but tricky. Saftey Harness remeber always
Old 10-23-2013, 03:46 AM
Fork Horn

Where did you buy a self climber at? All of mine I have to climb with it myself. Is it electric or battery powered? JK, anyways I have climbed some bigger trees in the past and it does fine. Just generally dont have to start with it at such a steep angle bc the trees doesn't taper as much as smaller ones do. As long as my cables will fit the tree I'll climb it. Be safe and good luck.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

I actually like using them in bigger trees. Hides your outline much better and the big tree helps block the wind. Only downfall is hangin by your nuts trying to readjust the cable in the dark can be a bit hairy
Old 10-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Maybe add a section of hang on ladder or a couple of screw in steps to get you up to the 20" diameter. Haven't tried this but just thought it might work.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Thunderchicken217
Where did you buy a self climber at? All of mine I have to climb with it myself. Is it electric or battery powered? JK, anyways I have climbed some bigger trees in the past and it does fine. Just generally dont have to start with it at such a steep angle bc the trees doesn't taper as much as smaller ones do. As long as my cables will fit the tree I'll climb it. Be safe and good luck.
yup I agree!

Originally Posted by mgreen81
Maybe add a section of hang on ladder or a couple of screw in steps to get you up to the 20" diameter. Haven't tried this but just thought it might work.
I knew a guy that put a ladder stand up then put a lock on stand above that....We found it in the woods one day clearing some paths for the club we were hunting...I wish I had taken a picture..I gave him hell over it for the longest time...
Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've climbed several trees over the 20" recommendation. I have found that it is very hard to get the climber to move if the tree is over 24". There is one that I climb a good bit that is just shy of 25", and it is quite difficult to get my first pull up on the bottom section. After that, it works ok...it'll about wear me out getting that first one done, tho. As ThunderChicken stated, if my cables will fit it, I'll try it. It takes a pretty big tree to get over 24" in diameter. I'd guess you would be able to find a climbable tree in there. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Bible Man...I actually climb a tree with my Summitt Titan, and I KNOW the tree is bigger than 20"...I just make sure that the platform is not too steep when I start climbing...the tree does not taper as much the higher I go....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.