Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Shoulder shot buck >

Shoulder shot buck

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoulder shot buck

Old 10-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shoulder shot buck

Shot a fairly decent buck tonight but I hit too far forward. The arrow snapped off as soon as he turned and started to run away, but only 4 inches was left in the deer. I'd guess it made it through the blade since it snapped off, but idk if 4 inches is enough to reach any vitals. I picked up my arrow and backed out for tonight. I didn't seen any blood right where I shot him, but I'm gonna head back in to look before work. I just don't know if its enough penetration to hit anything vital I guess we will see in the morning. Makes me sick.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

could be...Good luck!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

50 / 50 chance. Better scour the area thoroughly.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

I'd say 4" is plenty as long as it hit where the vitals are
Old 10-27-2013, 06:10 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Sometimes the arrow does not fully cooperate - happens to us all. Good thinking to back out. Hope you found the deer - I would guess you are spending a good part of this day looking.

I like to shoot a little farther back than most - see X on diagram below.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may have went through the scapula and then into the brisket, depending on high the shot was and angle, and not hit anything vital at all.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Spike

Gotta hate that situation Best of luck
Old 10-28-2013, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

Just wanted to see if there was an update on this?

Last year, I was able to kill a large carb claw 7 point with a slight limp in late December muzzleloading. When cleaning the deer out, I cut my hand on a broadhead that was lodged in the lung area. It was a mechanical and about 5 inches of carbon arrow. It apparently was a frontal shot and only got the one lung without any major arteries being hit. The deer was originally shot with the arrow in early October, as I met the hunter who was tracking the wounded buck.

Not every deer that runs out of sight dies after being hit. I track like they do, but they are tough animals and can make it through. Best of luck.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

From the sounds of it, I'd be surprised if he finds it. I hope I'm wrong though, and he shows us a nice buck!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Unfoturnately, I have had that happen twice... right in the shoulder ball. very little penetration and never recovered either buck. I'm hoping this ends differently than mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.