Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Anyone else seeing small bucks chasing already in NE coast? >

Anyone else seeing small bucks chasing already in NE coast?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone else seeing small bucks chasing already in NE coast?

Old 10-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone else seeing small bucks chasing already in NE coast?

last wkend i had a small buck chasing a doe crazy grunting and the prev wkend had a small 5pnt sniffing a doe already. seems really early. I don't knw if it is the colder weather and all the cloudy days making it get dark earlier??? I usally don't see that till the end of October around here..
Old 10-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Spike

Got trail camera pictures of a young buck mating with a doe on August 1. That was a shock to me. That is really early and the weather was still warm but thats what the picture shows. This was in upstate New York. East Durham.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

LI archer, do you have some other pics of the buck in your avatar? That thing has some serious mass!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Spike

Yep, just yesterday I saw a small button buck trying to mount a yearling doe, didn't look like she was too interested though. He gave a valiant effort though...every time she walked away a few steps he would try again, 3-4 times that they were under my stand. Maybe my detonator doe in estrus scent I had just put out had something to do with it.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Fork Horn

Just the youngins gearing up prematurely. It happens every year and the big bucks start a little later.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:29 AM
Fork Horn

Totally agree with Itsslow. Every yr this time you read or hear about someone hollering the ruts on at my place because they seen a 4pt chasing a doe. Glad to see that was no ones response here and that it was understood it really means nothing yet. The big boys are always later and thankfully its right around the corner. Good luck to all.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:34 AM
Spike

Our rut in VA is definitely weeks away, I was understanding the title of "chasing" exactly that, but I consider it just a sign of the "pre-rut" or like I said, my scent put out was like a Harry Belefonte album playing for em. This cold snap and mid week I have noticed the ones with headgear are coming out a bit earlier and just after sunrise when I haven't seen anything to call a shooter since opening day. I am glad to say I had the opportunity to see nothing but a head full of antler just before I could see a shot on him due to the sun still down. Cant wait though, it will be hear soon enough, and I believe it will happen before the bullets start flying for muzzleloader season...I hope. Im really liking the fact you can shoot but not clear the woods with my bow.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

NO casing yet but I am seeing some scrape activity. Another couple of week though and the woods will start to come alive.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's enought bucks fighting and staking out their territory to make it worth my while to call. Rattle, grunt, bleat. I've rattled in bucks consistently this time of October for the last several years. Some have been 1.5 to 2.5 year olds. A few have been mature.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't seen any chasing yet, but by next week it should start. I think the best odds are during this stage of the Rut. The seeking/chasing phase has the bucks really on the move, but when they get locked on a hot doe later on, they will stay with her, making him move less. I'm stoked for the Rut!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.