Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

All day sits

Old 10-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default All day sits

I was curious how many folks do dark to dark hunts during the Rut? I always sit all day during the Rut. I break it up into 3 portions, morning: dark to about 11:00AM, afternoon: 11:00AM to about 2:00PM, and evening: 2:00PM until dark. It helps me do it mentally.

Last edited by early in; 10-17-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

During the Rut I do all day sits 99% of the time. Father Time is starting to have a say with it but I can still hang! Best chance to get a good one . Can't get one sleeping in the truck or at camp.

Hatchet Jack
Old 10-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only sat all day once...I like evening hunts more...Ive had most of my success then...
Old 10-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I mostly get to hunt afternoons & typically do 4 hours since it's the majority of my hunting. I do all days or at least try (I'm damn old) when I start see them running all day-try at least 3-5 all days. Hardest part is making myself get going on those early mornings but once I'm there it's not a problem. My "acheing bones" make me pay for it though...
Old 10-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

When I start seeing alot of buck movment late in the mornings is when I start sitting all day. Buy a good climber and a good book to sit back and relax. I pack a lunch and I do it. Sometimes Ill hunt till 1200pm eat lunch and get back in by 1 or 130pm. I've killed several between 10am-2pm. When they get to really chaseing they will chase all night and bed early morning and get up again around 1000am and chase during the day. Dont think for a second sitting all day ix over kill just dont burn your self out. Like I said earlier..I try to wait till you see the sign and deer moving when driving around during midday. Good luck
Old 10-19-2013, 07:09 AM
Spike

For me, the area in which I hunt is not conducive for an all day sit. It's a very small section of private land (a peninsula), of woods that lead into a larger tract of private land. In the 10 plus years I have hunted this area, not once have I seen a deer in the daylight hours. Mornings are great as they migrate thru this timber from the fields to the bedding areas and at night.

I think the area one hunts dictates whether or not an all day hunt is warranted. If in a good area that provides enough cover/concealment to give deer confidence to move around freely, then yes, I would do it. During the rut, I will stay out much later in the mornings and go out around 2 or so for the evening hunt.

At first, I thought the title of this thread was geared toward eating some bad food. Then I put my glasses on.
I'll let you all figure that one out......LOL
Old 10-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sat all day twice and shot bucks at last light. I think it just depends on where you are hunting. Private vs Public, Around bsdding areas. Not every place is worth an all day sit.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have done all day sits before but found i need at least a 2 hr break. If not my lower back and legs get funky from bad back but can still last a good while each go. Also found out that I am more than likely to take a nap at the tree if i dont get moving and you tend to miss alot more opportunities while asleep then awake.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do all day sits during the rut. Food & water are the only thing that make it possible for me!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Food is a MUST if you plan to sit all day. I bring a couple sandwiches, some kind of cake, candy, and a couple Gatorades. These are welcome treats that you'll think you owe yourself for the LONG sit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.