HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Ohio early muzzleloader antlerless only weekend- thanks for nothing! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/386048-ohio-early-muzzleloader-antlerless-only-weekend-thanks-nothing.html)

wardam2926 10-15-2013 11:09 AM

Ohio early muzzleloader antlerless only weekend- thanks for nothing!

1 Attachment(s)
This year Ohio added an early muzzleloader, antlerless only season this past weekend. Unfortunately, this weekend also prevented bowhunters from harvesting a buck as it was antlerless only, regardless of whether you were using a muzzleloader or not. As someone who is an avid bowhunter and spends countless hours throughout the year prepping for the season, I thought this was rather ridiculous seeing that they were taking away one of the few weekends bowhunters get to harvest a buck before gun season. Since I had the time, I decided to sit Sunday night thinking it may be a good opportunity to harvest a doe, and believing the odds of getting a crack at a decent buck would be slim. Unfortunately, I had this buck at 30 yards for 5 minutes and had to sit there and watch him walk. Thanks Ohio DNR for nothing. I hope the doe harvest was way down this past weekend and you realize that many bowhunters refused to even go out due to your insane new regulations.

deernutz 10-15-2013 11:34 AM

I do understand your frustration. Sounds like WI DNR when I lived there. They were always adding youth hunts or anterless only weekends during bow season. It was very frustrating. Looking at your seasons though you have a long bow season though. I'm sure you'll get another chance.

RisnerPSE 10-15-2013 04:40 PM

Not to piss you off but this is exactly why I decided not to go out. I did not want to have to go thru what you did. I am very proud that you were man enough to watch it walk because I'm sure some would had shot and not told anyone.

wardam2926 10-15-2013 06:11 PM

Hopefully I'll get another chance to take a shot at him. Still plenty of time left. I just hope the state wises up and gets rid of a doe only weekend during bow season.

Treebeard 10-15-2013 07:38 PM

Good on you for just watchin brother no matter how stupid the rules are!

ManofTheFall 10-15-2013 10:57 PM

I am right with you wardam and I did not go out at all. I also let the ODNR how stupid this is. Obviously my small voice didn't matter to them though cause they did it anyways. I also have a property I pretty must just take doe off of and I can't remember a time where I did not see at least one doe. I went out Monday morning and evening and guess what happened. Yep, not a single sighting. Thanks ODNR for screwing over your best commodity, bow hunters!!!!!

itsslow98 10-16-2013 01:34 AM

You're a better man then me and ill admit it. On the other hand I wouldn't have gone out though.

Thunderchicken217 10-16-2013 03:37 AM

We have a similiar type of muzzleloader season here in MD coming up. This weekend of Oct 17-19 is buck or doe with muzzleloader but then the following week of Oct 21-26 is doe only with the muzzleloader. However we are allowed to hunt with a bow during the doe only period and kill a buck as long as its with your bow. I feel your frustration as it would really get me heated up to if I didnt at least have the choice to decide how I wanted to hunt that week. The biggest problem I have with MD and their way is that the law book is very vague in this area and I actually had to spend several days and 10 attempts to reach someone in the DNR office until they would pick up and answer my question if it was ok to take a buck with your bow. Good luck and maybe if enough people complain they will consider some changes.

wardam2926 10-16-2013 10:46 AM

I have already complained via email twice before the season even started and I am yet to even receive a response.

ManofTheFall 10-16-2013 09:33 PM

I did receive a response but all it said was thank you for your input.