Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunting in hot weather >

Hunting in hot weather

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting in hot weather

Old 10-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took a doe yesterday evening and it was 91 degrees and very humid. We're a little more used to the heat down here than you yanks, so hot temps don't bother me that much. Hot weather will definately slow down daylight movement though.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Of course deer are harvested in hot weather

It was hot; harvested a deer in the afternoon; I was hunting alone; had to pull a gutted deer out with a climbing tree stand.

You never forget the heat.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Typical Buck

The difference between a sportsman & a hunter is that the hunter is in the woods whether its 95 degrees with 100% humidity or -15 with 20 mph winds. Doesn't matter if he's hunting through a potential tornado or a blizzard either, he'll be a huntin. Sportsman only pique their interests, a hunter lives & dies by the woods. Now choose who you are.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

So what do you all do once you make a kill and the temps are high? You can't hang it over night.. too warm.. Do you folks have a stand-by cooler or do you gut,skin and quarter it into a freezer right away?

I took a doe on opening day evening.. 73 degrees with the nightly low at 68. It sucked having to process the thing right away.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Spike

Just came back from opening archery in Ohio. Temps were in the low 80's. The majority of the deer we saw were actually Bedded in the swamps during the day and coming out at last light. Took a decent 10 on the last day of our hunt. I actually busted out more than a few that we're into the 150-160 range I have hunted Maine alot find the food and find the swamps and you should be able to figure out the deer movement
Old 10-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by dthfrmabove
Just came back from opening archery in Ohio. Temps were in the low 80's. The majority of the deer we saw were actually Bedded in the swamps during the day and coming out at last light. Took a decent 10 on the last day of our hunt. I actually busted out more than a few that we're into the 150-160 range I have hunted Maine alot find the food and find the swamps and you should be able to figure out the deer movement
No pics of your buck?
Old 10-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Spike

Default trying to figure this all out not even sure if I'm doing it right

Originally Posted by doetrain
I choose to go out even when warm knowing many who have filled freezers and decked out walls with good Bucks during hot weather. It is harder but still can be productive every once in a while. I limit the distance and time I spend getting to a spot and how long I'm out in it. So I go out and hour and a half before sunset and get out of the woods before the morning gets to hot. It is a pain washing my gear more but thats hunting and like my Bt shoot one sitting on the couch in the AC.
trying to figure this out I don't know if this is right or not but I try
Old 10-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murby
So what do you all do once you make a kill and the temps are high? You can't hang it over night.. too warm.. Do you folks have a stand-by cooler or do you gut,skin and quarter it into a freezer right away?

I took a doe on opening day evening.. 73 degrees with the nightly low at 68. It sucked having to process the thing right away.
depends If you have a processor or butcher close...or know someone who has a walkin cooler. if its hot you can ice the cavity and take it to a processor. if you don't have access its best to get a fridge and quarter it up and to get it cool. but some of the reason to let it hang is to get most of the blood out.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think its nearly as black and white as hot or cold.

If you have frost for a week then it warms back up the woods (food,cover etc.) will be totally different than if it just hasn't cooled off yet. Same goes the other way. If it has been hot all season and turns cold that is much different than if it had been cold all along.

Deer move just fine in the summer. Its more about food and cover than them not liking the heat IMO. The further into fall we go the less food and cover and that means traveling further from one to the other and spending more time looking for food.

Last edited by rockport; 10-10-2013 at 10:40 PM.