Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunting in hot weather >

Hunting in hot weather

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting in hot weather

Old 10-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting in hot weather

Up here in Maine we are having a warm spell (70-78F). It is supposed to cool down Thursday. My question is: If temps are higher then normal during the day is it worth hunting if temps drop that night (45F)? Will deer move before dark?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

We had a warm spell last season, hit 95degrees during the day. Thank God the wife and I have camo long sleeve under armour heat gear shirts! OMG it was hot up in the stand!

It had been down in the high 50's to mid 60's during the day for a few weeks by then, but suddenly a heatwave came through and warmed us up 30-40degrees.

Movement in the evenings was later in the evening than usual for the deer we had been patterning, but they still moved, the wife even got a shot on her 9pter when it was still 87degrees out that evening (about 6:30pm).
Old 10-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

The deer will still move, but often there will be less movement than normal and it will come first thing in the morning and right before dark. I have had some success hunting in warm weather, so I would still go out....
Old 10-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think they move more when its colder/cooler.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:06 AM
Spike

In northwestern Illinois it was 82 for the opening day yesterday. I opted to stay out of the woods. But the large mouth where biting. We even found a couple of the toothy critters for the freezer.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

Here in Va. we are used to warm weather, especially during archery. It has actually been cool the past couple of weeks, but just started warming up the past couple of days. Supposed to be in the high eighties for Sat. opening of Archery. Will expect to see Deer moving in the early to mid morning and starting three to four in the afternoon. Thats the way its been in the past anyhow.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Spike

Just dont forget your thermacell! Thats the one thing about bow season that can be tough to contend with is the mosquitoes.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I choose to go out even when warm knowing many who have filled freezers and decked out walls with good Bucks during hot weather. It is harder but still can be productive every once in a while. I limit the distance and time I spend getting to a spot and how long I'm out in it. So I go out and hour and a half before sunset and get out of the woods before the morning gets to hot. It is a pain washing my gear more but thats hunting and like my Buddy says you can't shoot one sitting on the couch in the AC.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it's 75-80 degrees I don't even waste my time going out. That's just me, I like it cold, 20's to 40 degrees, snowy.....just seems like hunting then.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the cooler weather...it frosted here last night...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.