Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New bowhunter advice needed >

New bowhunter advice needed

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New bowhunter advice needed

Old 09-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Spike

Default New bowhunter advice needed

Hey y'all - what technologies are really important when looking for a bow? What bow do you currently shoot? Thanks for the help!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does it fit You well?
Is it quiet when shooting it?
What is the amount of Let-off....?
Price Range
Quality and Warranty
How much does it weigh?
Length Axel to Axel

I had an older Jennings Rackmaster Bow and is was pretty heavy and long axle to axle.Now I'm shooting a Mission "Craze" made by Matthews in the "Lost Camo" and is a much lighter Bow,with a shorter length of 28 inches axle to axle and a faster shooting Bow also.Price wise it was around $329.00 Bare Bow and I added a drop-away rest,Axion sights and Lost Camo Quiver.

The other Bows by Mission are the "Riot","Rally","Ballistic","Venture",& "Menace".....all great Bows that are affordable and carry a good warranty.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:23 AM
Spike

That's very helpful, thanks. How long have you been hunting?
Old 10-03-2013, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of good beginners bows out there and used high quality ones as well. Some guys will by the newest offering every few years so look for a used one if your serious about staying at it. I bought a PSE Stinger 3G set up for 360.00 and like it for what it is. Had an older Matthews FX which I liked a lot but wanted something a little newer not faster but accurate and quite which I got with my new bow. Been at it 5 years now and enjoy the challenge very much.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

I never understood the whole "Is it quiet when you shoot it"... What difference does that make? You could hang cow bells on your bow and it wouldn't matter once you let the arrow fly.
My advice for a newbie.. Find a cheap used bow.. There are a lot of people out there that are willing to spend a lot of money to have the latest tech there is and they sell their current units cheap.
Trust me when I say that how a bow feels and shoots to you is 10 times more important than how new or expensive it is.
My bow is pushing 10 years old and I never miss.. Might have to get a new string one of these days but I won't let go of the bow for at least another 10 years.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Murby
I never understood the whole "Is it quiet when you shoot it"... What difference does that make? You could hang cow bells on your bow and it wouldn't matter once you let the arrow fly.
My advice for a newbie.. Find a cheap used bow.. There are a lot of people out there that are willing to spend a lot of money to have the latest tech there is and they sell their current units cheap.
Trust me when I say that how a bow feels and shoots to you is 10 times more important than how new or expensive it is.
My bow is pushing 10 years old and I never miss.. Might have to get a new string one of these days but I won't let go of the bow for at least another 10 years.
are you serious???? a quiet bow makes all the difference of a deer jumping a string!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Arkansasmountainman
are you serious???? a quiet bow makes all the difference of a deer jumping a string!!!
How's that?

You release the arrow and send it flying.. the sound wave travels at around ~760mph, the arrow flys at around 170mph (a conservative number).. Once the sound wave gets to the animal, its ears have to conduct the signal to the brain (a very short distance), the brain has to make a decision to move, then the brain has to conduct the signal to the rear legs..
Nerve conduction velocity run at around 220 mph which is not a whole lot faster than an arrow in flight.. (although the distance is much shorter).
Once the muscles get the signal to move, they then have to execute that order and then they have to actually move the proper distance out of the way of the flight path of the projectile.

Do the math..

When a deer ducks an arrow, it is usually a combination of the animal already being spooked and an "off shot" that combined to let it get lucky. Either that, or the hunter has taken some crazy unethical long shot out at 50+ yards and the flight time is so long and the flight path so off that the animal barely even needs to move.

When I shoot an animal, they arrow impacts long before they have a chance to react.

If you want to see an example of how relatively slow nerves are, do the money drop test.. Have someone hold their thumb and forefinger about an inch apart.. Dangle a 100 dollar bill vertically by holding the top edge.. position the bill so it is between their thumb and finger where the presidents head is.. tell them if they can catch it when you drop it, they can have it.
Their fingers only have to move 1/2 of an inch to close and grab the bill but the time it takes for the bill to slide through their fingers is faster than the time it takes for the signal to get from eyes, to brain, to fingers. Its a cool trick..
Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaZ9Gdj93kg

It works every time... No different with an animal.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rm12....I've been Deer Hunting for over 35 years,mostly Rifle/Gun Hunting and shooting a Bow for just as long but seriously Archery/Bow Hunting for the past 12 years!

Been heavy into Predator/Coyote Hunting for about 4 years now....that's where some serious excitement is!
Old 10-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Technologies I look for in my bows:

I'm a binary/dual/twin cam shooter, so I'm only interested in buying twin cam bows (Mathews Monster, Bowtech, etc).

Then I want a hard/aggressive cam, meaning I can get a lot of speed out of a my short 28.5" drawlength. I also want heavy limbs.

I like a short axle to axle for portability.

I shoot well enough that brace height doesn't matter to me, but a lot of guys want a longer brace for forgiveness in shooting form.

How quiet a bow is doesn't matter to me in terms of jumping the string, but loud sounds are wasted energy. I want an efficient bow, which means it must be quiet. Quiet bows, by nature, also tend to have a smoother, more polished draw (feel) to them, which means a lot in shooter comfort and efficiency. It also gets old shooting a loud bow indoors.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Technologies I look for in my bows:

I'm a binary/dual/twin cam shooter, so I'm only interested in buying twin cam bows (Mathews Monster, Bowtech, etc).

Then I want a hard/aggressive cam, meaning I can get a lot of speed out of a my short 28.5" drawlength. I also want heavy limbs.

I like a short axle to axle for portability.

I shoot well enough that brace height doesn't matter to me, but a lot of guys want a longer brace for forgiveness in shooting form.

How quiet a bow is doesn't matter to me in terms of jumping the string, but loud sounds are wasted energy. I want an efficient bow, which means it must be quiet. Quiet bows, by nature, also tend to have a smoother, more polished draw (feel) to them, which means a lot in shooter comfort and efficiency. It also gets old shooting a loud bow indoors.
YEP! a nice THIP...sound is nice...over a springy boing sound...LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.