Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Please Help with My Son >

Please Help with My Son

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Please Help with My Son

Old 09-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Spike

I believe I'd concentrate more on his proficiency than on hours spent. The problem I see with hours spent is he's only shooting for that purpose, hours spent. If you'll set standards and make him strive to meet those, he'll be shooting to get better.

I believe that I'd figure out how many pounds he's pulling then figure a deadly range for that weight. I would then make him shoot at the maximum distance consistently in the kill zone. I'd do this from several different positions as you never know whats going to happen during a hunt.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also low poundage like what he currently uses I would use fixed broad heads only when he goes hunting...you want all the force available to go to the cutting edge not get lost opening a blade. make sure he uses the target blades for the fixed broadheads or a good broadhead target... Just my opinion...
Old 09-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Spike

When I started which wasn't that long ago I had a family friend tell me to start with 20yds and once I was consistent at 3 inch group to go, and use that as a guide for longer shots. Don't try a longer shot until I was consistent at a 3 inch grouping.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been bow hunting for 32 years and limit most of my shots to 25 yards, 30 yards max. Even for an adult that's been shooting for 30+ years with a fast bow, I think there are too many variables when you get past 30 yards.

20 yards max for my kid.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Archery is generally limited by the accuracy of the shooter, so that's what I'd tell him. Take him out, see how well he shoots. If he naturally is able to stack sticks at 40yrds, I wouldn't worry about him. If, as you'd expect, he has trouble consistently delivering shots on target past 15yrds, then he obviously needs more practice.

My wife and I, both what I'd call accomplished/skilled archers, usually shoot 25-50pins per night during season, more during preseason, 7days a week. Most weekends before the season will be 100-150 pins per day on both days. But both of us are capable of grouping under 3" at 50yrds CONSISTENTLY, so we're prone to think that so much dedication is worth it.

The "punishment" that I'd recommend, if he doesn't practice, is to go ahead and take him hunting. If something walks past at a range further than his accurate range, make him pass on the shot. 1) Passing on a deer at 20yrds sucks, and it would force him to admit that he's not accurate enough to ethically take that shot. 2) If he does get a shot and range, and places it poorly, then tracking long distance, or worse, losing game is a brutal learning experience.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a completely different opinion than the rest of these guys. You set certain parameters that he should have made some put in the time to practice. You feel he didn't do so and that's what you should base your decision on. I'd say no hunting this year.

It has nothing to do with how lucky he might get or anything else. It's the matter that he didn't learn the discipline to make an attempt. Rules are rules. You set them. It was his responsibility to adhere to them. To give in at this point might lead to him not respecting you later in life and this is what is wrong with younger generations today.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:33 AM
Spike

Practice doesn't mean anything if its not correct. If he's out there shooting for hours and doesn't entirely understand what he is doing, then its not benefitting him a bit.

If I was you I'd come up with an organized practice routine.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rlmx
...I have explained to him that he needed at least 3 solid hours per week for several months straight to be able to go into the field and harvest a deer...

...So bow hunters, what standards do you have for yourselves? How many hours of practice before you count yourself "ready?" Is 3 hrs per week (30 min x 6 days) for 6 months straight enough?

What feats of accuracy should a bow hunter be able to accomplish before going in the field to harvest a deer? I had a friend in high school that wouldn't go unless he practiced to the point that he could hit a tennis ball at 40 yards with consistency...
Two conflicting paradigms here. One hand is telling him he has to arbitrarily practice 3hrs a week (is 1hr enough? is 3hrs enough? 10hrs?), the other hand is telling him that he needs to achieve certain feats of accuracy, and no distinct link between the two is made.

Personally, I don't unpack my bow each pre-season with the thought of a certain number of hours per week in mind. I throw some arrows downrange and make sure I'm still on target. If I'm not consistently accurate enough to my own standards, I practice a lot, if I'm on target, I don't worry about 'mandatory practice' nearly as much. Why should that rule not apply to your kid?

Kids that age thrive on an achievement based system. If he studies and do his homework, he gets an A on his test. If he doesn't study, he fails. If he fails a test, he gets grounded, and has to study more. If he mows the lawn, he gets his allowance. If he does a crappy job, he doesn't get his allowance until he does it right. You might impose the rule that he should mow counter clockwise the first two laps so clippings don't spray into the driveway (logical), and if he doesn't do it that way, he has to sweep the driveway after (more work for him = form of punishment for doing it wrong).

BUT, you don't make him mow the lawn everyday if he did it right the first time. The job is done right, he doesn't need to keep doing it until it needs mowed again.

If you like the "tennis ball test", then use it. If the kid can hit the tennis ball 10 for 10 at 40yrds (or whatever range) with zero practice, then let the kid hunt. A lot of kids don't have to study to get A's in school, so making them study more is like making them mow the lawn everyday. If the kid can hit the tennis ball 10 for 10, then whatever amount he is practicing is the right amount.

If he CAN'T hit the tennis ball 10 for 10, then he doesn't get to go hunting because he needs to practice more until he can. Whether it takes 3hrs per week or 30min per week, he knows what he has to achieve, so hang that in front of him as a goal.

(Ending this by saying that 10 for 10 on a tennis ball at 40yrds is a he11 of a feat for most bowhunters, and WAY more accurate than a deer hunter has to be, so maybe make it 20 or 30yrds instead )
Old 10-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Two conflicting paradigms here. One hand is telling him he has to arbitrarily practice 3hrs a week (is 1hr enough? is 3hrs enough? 10hrs?), the other hand is telling him that he needs to achieve certain feats of accuracy, and no distinct link between the two is made.

Personally, I don't unpack my bow each pre-season with the thought of a certain number of hours per week in mind. I throw some arrows downrange and make sure I'm still on target. If I'm not consistently accurate enough to my own standards, I practice a lot, if I'm on target, I don't worry about 'mandatory practice' nearly as much. Why should that rule not apply to your kid?

Kids that age thrive on an achievement based system. If he studies and do his homework, he gets an A on his test. If he doesn't study, he fails. If he fails a test, he gets grounded, and has to study more. If he mows the lawn, he gets his allowance. If he does a crappy job, he doesn't get his allowance until he does it right. You might impose the rule that he should mow counter clockwise the first two laps so clippings don't spray into the driveway (logical), and if he doesn't do it that way, he has to sweep the driveway after (more work for him = form of punishment for doing it wrong).

BUT, you don't make him mow the lawn everyday if he did it right the first time. The job is done right, he doesn't need to keep doing it until it needs mowed again.

If you like the "tennis ball test", then use it. If the kid can hit the tennis ball 10 for 10 at 40yrds (or whatever range) with zero practice, then let the kid hunt. A lot of kids don't have to study to get A's in school, so making them study more is like making them mow the lawn everyday. If the kid can hit the tennis ball 10 for 10, then whatever amount he is practicing is the right amount.

If he CAN'T hit the tennis ball 10 for 10, then he doesn't get to go hunting because he needs to practice more until he can. Whether it takes 3hrs per week or 30min per week, he knows what he has to achieve, so hang that in front of him as a goal.

(Ending this by saying that 10 for 10 on a tennis ball at 40yrds is a he11 of a feat for most bowhunters, and WAY more accurate than a deer hunter has to be, so maybe make it 20 or 30yrds instead )
I cant do that at 30 or 40 yds lol maybe at 20 if I concentrate...lol but good advice nonetheless
Old 10-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

I bought my 11 year old son a bow for Christmas last year. He is not strong enough to hunt with the minimum 40lbs draw yet. He shoots with me everytime I shoot. I shoot at least 3X/week....I feel I am ready when I can hit the cap off of a plastic coke bottle at 30 yards....I have been hunting for 20+ years, and the joy of just shooting my bow has not wavered....I love it. My son loves to shoot his bow as well....I make it fun for him...we shoot at different areas of the target to see who can get the closest. Without him knowing, he is developing skills that will allow him to become a better hunter as he gets older/stronger. I agree with those who say do not put a time to his shooting. You will know when he is ready.....and if he is not, have him sit with you and teach him the woods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.