HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   SCENT DRIPPERS ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/38535-scent-drippers.html)

10 POINT TONY 09-28-2003 05:11 PM

SCENT DRIPPERS ?

i found a scent dripper i bought many moons ago. the kind the scent should drip only during daylight hours. i' ve never used it. i' m thinking about putting it out and setting the camera out with it. has anyone tried these and what, if any results did you have. i' m thinking i might get some pictures if this thing works. what do you think?

TxCowboy 09-28-2003 05:31 PM

RE: SCENT DRIPPERS ?

I have 2 of them that I' ve used for a few years and I really like them. They do claim that they only work during the dayight because of the normal heating and cooling of the day. Somehow the cool air contracts something in the tube to keep the scent from dripping. Now whether this actually works or not, I' m not sure.lol Either way, it drips scent when you aren' t there and that is pretty cool. I have had bucks and does come to those scrapes where the dripper is set up and I' ve gotten photos of them on my cameras. It is no miracle product but it is definatly a cheap and cool gadget that might help you pattern a big buck.

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-28-2003 08:09 PM

I' ve recently read an article on a man who uses scent drippers to train bucks to visit scrapes during daylight hours....and with some of the impressive whitetails he' s taken doing it, there must be something to it....very interesting.

justhrowit 09-29-2003 07:55 AM

I just bought one and put it out this past weekend. I sure hope it works.

Danny45 09-29-2003 08:02 AM

They work great. I' ve used one for years. Just make sure what scent you' re using matches the time of year. Regular doe or buck urine works good during the early part of the season, and after the rut. Use doe in rut scent only during the rut.

10 POINT TONY 09-29-2003 06:55 PM

thanks for the input guys. i' m gonna set it up using hawg' s limited synthetic scent and give it a try.
cowboy---the pictures you got. were they daylight pictures? it does sound interesting what rob said about bringing the bucks in daylight.
justhrowit---let us know how it works for you and good luck.

c903 09-29-2003 07:23 PM

I have always found the " drip bag" to be iffy. But I cannot say they scare deer away. Therefore, no harm, no foul.

I strictly use mine on mock scrapes during pre-rut and rut. I have had bucks come in and tear the hell out of the scrape, and I have seen evidence of does in heat urinating in the mock scrape.

However, beware! On more than one occassion, I have had bucks bed down nearby. It is my opinion, that it is possible that the bedded buck thought another buck was in his territory, and he bedded down nearby to watch for the invader to arrive at the scrape. Guess whom the buck sees?

10 POINT TONY 09-29-2003 08:25 PM

c903---that could be a drawback. those bucks will sit and wait. a lot of times they will wait to see if any interesting does come by also. i just read an article on how lazy the bigger bucks are. they only move when they absolutely have to. thanks for the input. good luck hunting!

6pt125lbs 09-29-2003 10:38 PM

Tony theres only one definate way your gonna find out if they work go put em out and get some pictures i kno we all wanna see the pics [:-]