Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
first year bowhunting any advice >

first year bowhunting any advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

first year bowhunting any advice

Old 09-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Spike

Default first year bowhunting any advice

this is my first year bowhunting and i have a diamond razor edge can anybody give me some advice
Old 09-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by AR Bowhunter
Practice, Practice. Then go have fun.
X2...Always practice before going after live game
Old 09-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Practice, Practice. Then go have fun.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use good scent control.....shower with scent-free soap,wash Your clothes in scent-free detergent,spray down with scent-killer spray!Learn each time You go Hunting....enjoy the time out,make good ethical shots and stay after the Deer!Some times it takes a long time to harvest a Deer depending on how many are in Your area so don't get discouraged....ask plenty of questions,try new things and learn what works for others that Hunt!
Old 09-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

All is good advice. Practice a lot, use good scent control strategies, and don't be afraid to try new and different tactics. Another very important factor that I always remind new bowhunters is NEVER GIVE UP!!! over the next several years (if you stick with it) you are going to make a lot of mistakes. We all did whether we want to admit it or not. Bow hunting is an art that takes a few years and a lot of let downs to refine. Best advice I can give you is learn from your mistakes afield and NEVER GIVE UP!! Tv shows make it look a lot easier than it is. Best of luck this season.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:22 AM
Spike

Thanks that helps a lot
Old 09-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Spike

Any tips on what and when I should use a deer call or antlers that's troubled me and none of my friends have much luck with them
Old 09-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

The buck in my avatar was grunted in on December 3rd of last year. I have had a little luck rattling but it has been hit and miss. I have tried the doe bleat but cant say it has worked for me. Grunt calls are probably my favorite and I have had my best luck using the "tending grunt" late in the season during the post rut period. My theory is that bucks are more receptive to calling during the post rut since most of the does are bred and the bucks are desperately looking for their last doe lol. If calling does work for you, get ready because you are in for one hell of a adrenaline rush!!

Last edited by sdhunter11; 09-23-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:20 AM
Spike

go back to rifle hunting, we don't need any more bow hunters. get ready to kick yourself in the ass for not starting sooner. sell all your big game guns because you won't pick another one up after you get your first rush with a whitetail and a bow in your hand. Good Luck
Old 09-24-2013, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

Always, always , always watch the wind, be patient and don't try to shoot farther than you ethically can. And of course have fun! Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.