HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   how do i know if deer have patterened me? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/385243-how-do-i-know-if-deer-have-patterened-me.html)

hardwood hills hunter 09-21-2013 08:33 PM

how do i know if deer have patterened me?

I had a doe and a skipper come in and I missed the doe and I missed the skipper twice.I then called back doe and missed her a second time then they ran off.
Friday evening I had a lo e doe cross the Brook just about 100 yards up from me and I bleated her into less then ten yards..I shot threw so light hemlock limbs and missed but I was unsure at the time and didn't see blood or the arrow so I made a phone call when about an hr had passed thinking she walked away. As I'm whispering to the person. I'm talking to I see the doe walk off. I'm sure she pinpointed me. My question is can I expect more results from this try or should I hunt a new stand awhile? Or perhaps hunt the same area but change the stands location?

Tundra10 09-21-2013 08:39 PM

I suggest more practice with the bow.

hardwood hills hunter 09-21-2013 09:04 PM

Is the spot ruined

AR Bowhunter 09-22-2013 04:40 AM

Give it a few days an maybe get on another tree. While you are waiting do some shooting to make sure your sights are on target.

d80hunter 09-22-2013 01:00 PM

Missing that much and worried about anything but missing so much is a mistake. I would practice shooting in similar conditions from which you hunt, every day for two weeks, and the deer and the shot will come together.

early in 09-22-2013 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tundra10 (Post 4082640)
I suggest more practice with the bow.

This x100.

GTOHunter 09-22-2013 04:48 PM

More Shooting Practice,cut some shooting lanes,stay away from the stand for a while and Hunt a different location then try the same spot after You give it a rest!

MountainHunter 09-25-2013 05:59 AM

I'm no competition shooter, but missing that many times means there's something more basic wrong with your hunting than having one of your hunting spots compromised. Suppose you had hit one of them? If your shooting is that bad, there's a good chance you'd have a wounded deer.

Here are some suggestions:
1) Practice your bow.
2) Practice shooting your bow from your stand.
3) Mark yardages from your stand so you don't over- or under-shoot.
4) Don't shoot through limbs; a small twig hitting your arrow will deflect it significantly and result in a miss, or , worse, a wounded deer.
5) Cut a couple of shooting lanes to where deer walk, so you don't need to do (4).

Wilcam47 09-25-2013 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by MountainHunter (Post 4083435)
I'm no competition shooter, but missing that many times means there's something more basic wrong with your hunting than having one of your hunting spots compromised. Suppose you had hit one of them? If your shooting is that bad, there's a good chance you'd have a wounded deer.

Here are some suggestions:
1) Practice your bow.
2) Practice shooting your bow from your stand.
3) Mark yardages from your stand so you don't over- or under-shoot.
4) Don't shoot through limbs; a small twig hitting your arrow will deflect it significantly and result in a miss, or , worse, a wounded deer.
5) Cut a couple of shooting lanes to where deer walk, so you don't need to do (4).

Solid advice!

not the dogs 09-25-2013 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wilcam47 (Post 4083513)
Solid advice!

I agree with this.