Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broad head question >

Broad head question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broad head question

Old 09-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Spike

Default Broad head question

I'm at the beginner level of bow hunting. I bought a bow back early in the summer and have been shooting all summer. Everything I've learned has been through trial and error or YouTube videos. I've become a pretty good shot. Deer season is approaching fast. I don't know anything about broad heads. Where do I start? How do you select the right one? It ain't gotta be fancy, just one that works.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Depends on your bow draw weight and what type of broadhead you would like to shoot. mechanical or fixed blade.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Spike

I'm around 65lbs and want to keep it basic for now, so wouldn't you say that for a beginner a fixed blade would be a good starting point.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

you need a muzzy mx-3. end of story.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

100 gr Thunderhead or 100gr Muzzy, either in 3 blades, they will do all that needs doing to a deer...

Make sure to shoot them before hunting as sometimes they fly to a different point of aim than field points...If it's not too bad, just adjust your sights...If more than a couple of inches at 25 yards then you will be better off adjusting your rest and or nock to adjust point of impact so field points and broadheads fly the same...

Also, if shooting from a tree stand, practice as some change their stance and find they shoot high when in an elevated stand...
Old 09-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Spike

Shoot a fixed blade head, prior to you hunting shoot into a practice target with the head.
Ideally you should the same place as your field point.
Fixed blade broadheads will enhance a poor shots penetration.
If you decide to shoot expandables your shot placement will require you missing the shoulder blade on whitetails, as a good rule.
A fixed blade will out penetrate any expandable every time.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:30 AM
Fork Horn

I disagree with the fixed blades. Odds are if you are new to the sport and Tuning and tinkering isn't your life your fixed broadhead and Field point will have different point of impact.

A good mechanical will eliminate this issue guys will tell you your losing KE ect ect if you bow isn't perfectly tuned and that is true however its very negligable for most modern bows as they are pretty accurate at factory specs

My preference are Rockets I have used them for the better part of 20 years they make a mech for any bow and any game. With your setup the Steelhead or Sidewinder would be great choices!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Spike

They are not cheap, they are new. The rage hypodermic, my bow is set at 60 lbs. and shot a doe at 15 yards opening day Sunday evening. Couldn't find my arrow, went straight through her. Going back to check later today for it as it was getting late that evening. I have been away from the sport for 3 years now and was not sure what to go with (especially hearing all the negativity on mechanical broadheads) by the way, thats a load of bull. I have a buddy that has worked in the archery business for years and he has said the same thing, "I honestly have yet to see one NOT launch, generally the people to comment are ones that have not used them and don't have the experience to back that theory up." I can tell you I will continue to use rage mechanicals, the results were amazing and they fly as straight as my field tips!!
Old 09-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

Slick Trick - end of the deers story.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fixed: 100gr 3 blade Muzzy
Mechanical: 100gr Spitfire Maxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.