Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broad head question >

Broad head question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broad head question

Old 09-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by zim4par
They are not cheap, they are new. The rage hypodermic, my bow is set at 60 lbs. and shot a doe at 15 yards opening day Sunday evening. Couldn't find my arrow, went straight through her. Going back to check later today for it as it was getting late that evening. I have been away from the sport for 3 years now and was not sure what to go with (especially hearing all the negativity on mechanical broadheads) by the way, thats a load of bull. I have a buddy that has worked in the archery business for years and he has said the same thing, "I honestly have yet to see one NOT launch, generally the people to comment are ones that have not used them and don't have the experience to back that theory up." I can tell you I will continue to use rage mechanicals, the results were amazing and they fly as straight as my field tips!!

Rage are not good broadheads they are one of the main reasons all mechanicals get a bad name. Rage are an aweful design stick with a better Mech and you will not regret it. Don't fall victim to fancy advertising and the Rage cult.

Rocket,Grimreapers,wasp,NAP are all much better choices!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I no longer can draw a bow due to my advanced age and a gnagging shoulder injury. I use the 125 gr. Montec G5 3-blade with my crossbow set-up .... and have had not one single failure to recover in the 4 seasons I have used the crossbow. Almost every shot has been a pass through. Blood trails ? Very good. Quickness of kill ... typical .... o to 250 yards. Most around 50-100 before they went down for good. .
Old 09-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bghunter777
Rage are not good broadheads they are one of the main reasons all mechanicals get a bad name. Rage are an aweful design stick with a better Mech and you will not regret it. Don't fall victim to fancy advertising and the Rage cult.

Rocket,Grimreapers,wasp,NAP are all much better choices!

Yeah id hate to see somone fall victim to having the same thing happen to me as I had happen this last weekend with a rage. Did you not read my post?! Obviously not, ill make it bigger this time.. COMPLETE PASS THROUGH AND A GAPING HOLE. Sorry i added the gaping hole part but really it did leave that! I could understand a person saying they were a bad head if they gave some type of proof or reasoning, but to come right out and say "dont shoot Rage there bad". "They have a bad design", how? Pretty sweet lookin heads to me, not to mention the "advertised" 2 inch cut they promote with hypodermics, experienced that cut last weekend! "They are the reason mechanicals get a bad name", yeah right. Mechanicals get a bad name because ppl dont install the band or ring properly and yes, then they indeed do fail. Lastly, "dont fall victim to fancy advertising" this is the advice I would take, not to mention who doesnt have fancy advertising any more? They are exactly what they are all talked up to be and more based on using these fancy little guys. Mechanicals Fail A. Because of poor shot placement or B. They werent put together correctly to perform as intended. In other words, not the arrow but the archerer!
Old 09-20-2013, 02:20 AM
Fork Horn

The majority of instances Rage work fine but they are not designed well and anybody who has not been blinded by the cult like following will realize this in time. Scenario " poor penetration" the Rage cult "they will do anything and everything in there power to blame the archer" yes most of the time Rage failing to penetrate is on less than perfect shots. That being said why use a head that is not going to perform as well as many others would when contacting bone.

We choose expensive broadheads for their ability to perform when we don't make a perfect shot. Any head on the market will kill a deer just as dead if you 10 ring them. I want a head that I can have confidence to give me the best opportunity at recovering my game when I don't do my part.

Maybe you guys make perfect shots on every animal you shoot! I however have not always hit every animal exactly where I was aiming. Years of watching Rage simply fail other archers "its not an opinion" its a fact they do not penetrate as well on bone as other heads. They are put together poorly if you want to continue to be a blind follower to each his own. I owe it to the game and to myself to make every effort to put that animal down even if I dont make a perfect shot.

I won't sleep as well if i give the Rage cult answer "well shooter error I should practice more and not hit the shoulder and I won't have to worry about getting 3 inches of penetration" I agree I should not hit the shoulder but if I do I want something that gives the best chance at recovering that animal. and RAGE THAT IS NOT!
Old 09-20-2013, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only lost one deer with a rage broad head...and that's because of a totally bad shot on the deer due to my fault...all the others died within minutes and less than 60yds. If I could use them in this state I probably would. But if you are wanting penetration...fixed broad head is the way to go..
Old 09-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Shoot rage they fly exactly like your field points no tuning necessary !
Old 09-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rage suk, Slick trick 100gr magnums. Harvested a nice 6pt because someone shot it with a rage 3 blade and they didn't deploy. I guess I really have to like them after all.