Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Gear Opinion...help me >

Gear Opinion...help me

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gear Opinion...help me

Old 09-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Gear Opinion...help me

I have the full season scentlock suit for about 2 years. I've been wanting to get some warmer clothes. I have an old pair of wall coveralls that I use under neath with other layers but i seem to still get cold on ...really windy cold days. I feel too bulky and its time to upgrade to something. I ve been looking at predator fleece suit or the underarmor rutt pants or jacket or even bibbs. I've never used the underamor cold gear layers either. I hunt in Kansas during November. What do you guys wear. I want to be warm and comfortable with out the bulk.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

The UnderArmour Cold Gear is great, I also have some Nike Combat gear that works well for cold weather.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wallhangr
The UnderArmour Cold Gear is great, I also have some Nike Combat gear that works well for cold weather.
Thanks. Figured I see more input on what others like to wear.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last archery season in KS my wife and I were wearing Under Armour HeatGear since it hit over 90degrees on a couple days....

I bounce back and forth between cheap hanes or fruit of the loom knit thermal underwear or Under Armour ColdGear on top and bottom. Coldgear is great, but it HAS to have some windproof layer above it, otherwise it will end up making you colder. Plus UA is $100 or so for top and bottom, whereas I can get the Hanes for $10.

100% best investment a Kansas Hunter can make is a windproof layer. Think of the sleek black North Face jackets you see around. Last season, even on our coldest days in Kansas, I never needed more than: Hanes thermal top, Northface vest, Northface jacket, Under Armour Hoodie. Only change the year before, when it hung out at 10-20below, with 40below windchill, and 40mph standing winds during rifle season, I wore the same base layers of Hanes, North Face vest, North Face, and a Carhart hooded jacket instead of the UA Hoodie. I hunted southern MN last year as well wearing the same kit.

Last archery season, other than the 90degree days of course, I mostly wore just hanes thermals and the northface jacket, good down to about 35degrees.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use UA cold weather gear too. But when it gets extremely cold (0* and below) or if I will be sitting for extended periods in cold weather I add a layer of Extreme Cold Weather (ECW) polypropalene long johns under my std camo or flannel lined pants and flannel shirt.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input guys. I think im going to try the predator heavy fleece which has windstopper with UA hoodie and cold gear base layers this year. Now I just have to decide fall greay or brown deception. Thanks
Old 09-20-2013, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I layer long underwear, jeans and fleece. I stay really toasty (even in SD's wind and cold) for around $100 head to toe, all layers.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

Got the new preadtor fleece in fall grey and I am very impressed. Will see how it holds up this season. Good luck to you all
Old 10-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Spike

I like to wear merino wool top and bottom base layers. I get most of them from minus33.com. They have light, medium, and expedition levels of thickness. The expedition layer is great for really, really cold days.

I usually wear my predator camo OPT pants and jacket or sitka 90% pants and jacket. As someone mentioned earlier, a windstopper jacket is key. The wind is what pulls heat off your body. If it's really cold, I'll add a vest underneath the jacket (North Face & Sitka make good vests). If it warms up, it's easy to pack the vest and it's small.

In my opinion, good quality wool base layers and windstopper outer layer are the best investment. They can keep you warm without overdoing it.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

I wear light pajama's and a couple of tee shirts under my Carhartt's.. When I used to be exposed in the open, I would throw on my 3D's over the top for camo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.