HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   first time bow advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/384680-first-time-bow-advice.html)

wicat3 09-02-2013 01:42 PM

first time bow advice

Hey guys. Ive been into hunting for a bit and would like to try hunting with a bow. Ive been hunting for a few years now and its always been with a gun or black powder. Id like to give bow hunting a try. my problem is I have no idea about bows! I started hunting and getting into long guns by buying a shotgun for "hunting" with intentions of using it for home defense and just never stopped buying more and more toys lol. So I started hunting and now I would love to get a bow. I don't know what I need or if ill even like it! I don't want to drop a huge amount of money so any help would be great.

Hoyt63 09-02-2013 03:36 PM

Best advice...Go to your local archery shop and shoot as many different bows as you can until you find 1 that feels good in your hands while shooting. There is a ton of great bow manufacturers out there. Brand should be the least important factor.Feel and fit should be top priority. Good luck.

pjhunts 09-03-2013 05:08 AM

Yep. No better advice to give than that. Shoot as many different ones u can. Look for something that feels smooth and shoots quiet. Anything out there these days shoots plenty fast enough

wicat3 09-03-2013 01:51 PM

Ok and what if ive never shot a bow or know where the closes place is? I have a dicks sporting goods but they don't let you shoot them. And I heard there is some calculations that are needed for the right bow. Such as a smaller guy would have a different pull then a taller person, weight and all that?

DJfan 09-03-2013 02:00 PM

I would highly recommend you go to a local shop.

Hoyt63 09-03-2013 02:43 PM

Google Archery shops for your location,or yellow pages. You dont want to go to a big box store. Find a nearby hometown shop. The guys there will be able to answer your questions and set you up.

not the dogs 09-03-2013 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by DJfan (Post 4077798)
I would highly recommend you go to a local shop.

This is great advise. There is to many factors that a good shop will help you with. Just make sure that you go to a good shop that knows their stuff. I wouldn't go to a big name sporting good store unless you know that the guy that works there knows alot about bows. I went to one, I'm not saying any names, and asked them if they cut arrows down and they looked at me like I was crazy. So I got back in my car and drove 45 minutes away to the shop that I bought my bow from. Sure wish there was one closer.

GTOHunter 09-03-2013 07:23 PM

One very important thing.....never draw back any new or used Bow and dry fire it without an arrow,You could damage the Bow or even cause personal injury to Yourself!

As Several mentioned...go to a Good Archery Shop and have them assist You,if You can't try out their Bows don't mess with that Shop....find a better Shop!Shoot as many Bows as You can to see which one feels the best and fits Your budget,You can put a lot of money in a Compound Bow.

Some Hunters buy a decent used Bow then spend more money later on when they feel they're going to stay with Bow Hunting....just be sure to have any used Archery Equipment checked out before buying!

wicat3 09-04-2013 04:05 PM

what about a recurve style bow or not worth it?

not the dogs 09-04-2013 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by GTOHunter (Post 4077874)
One very important thing.....never draw back any new or used Bow and dry fire it without an arrow,You could damage the Bow or even cause personal injury to Yourself!

As Several mentioned...go to a Good Archery Shop and have them assist You,if You can't try out their Bows don't mess with that Shop....find a better Shop!Shoot as many Bows as You can to see which one feels the best and fits Your budget,You can put a lot of money in a Compound Bow.

Some Hunters buy a decent used Bow then spend more money later on when they feel they're going to stay with Bow Hunting....just be sure to have any used Archery Equipment checked out before buying!

Great point to never dry fire the bow. I'm still new to this myself and I did buy a used bow 3 years ago and it works great. I'm saving money for a new one. I love bow hunting now.