HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Quick tip for you hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/384595-quick-tip-you-hunters.html)

bronko22000 08-30-2013 05:30 PM

Quick tip for you hunters

After shooting bows for almost a half decade I just discovered a little 'trick' that may help with sight alignment at the moment of truth. I started doing this at a recent 3d shoot and my arrow placement improved dramatically. Now this only works with a multiple pin sight and for those close in shots. What I started doing is aligning my longer sight pins (i.e.: 50 - 70 yd pins) up the rear edge of the front leg and using my appropriate yardage pin for horizontal placement. All it takes is a quick peek at your pins and a smooth release. Works for me and all I can say is just give it a try.

lak2004 08-31-2013 02:44 PM

Thanks for the tip! Simple enough, I'll try it next time I shoot the 3d course

BGfisher 08-31-2013 04:50 PM

Do you possibly mean 5 decades? Half a decade would almost make you a newbie compared to me---41 years now.

bronko22000 09-01-2013 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by BGfisher (Post 4077016)
Do you possibly mean 5 decades? Half a decade would almost make you a newbie compared to me---41 years now.

Yes I did mean 5 decades (1/2 century). Been shooting bows for over 50 years. LOOOOOONG before compounds ever came out. It's amazing how many deer we killed with recurves and longbows.
I was on a hunt in TX and a young man pulled out a recurve and I was watching him shoot it. He was all over the place and we started chatting. He swore something was wrong with his set up. I asked if I could give it a try. He handed me the bow and said have at it. He gave me the fingers and offered me the arm guard but I refused. At 20 yds I proceeded to place 3 arrows neatly into a 4" group. Then told him I was a bit rusty as it's been about 5 or so years since I shot a recurve. His response was "Well I guess it ain't the bow": I told him all he needed was more practice and gave him some pointers.

Joot 09-03-2013 08:43 AM

Care to draw a diagram for us newbies so we understand ? Having difficulty understanding this statement:"... aligning my longer sight pins (i.e.: 50 - 70 yd pins) up the rear edge of the front leg and using my appropriate yardage pin for horizontal placement..."

bronko22000 09-04-2013 01:43 PM

joot: I cant draw you a diagram of this but if you have a multi-pin sight (say 5 pins) and they are set at 20, 30, 40, 50 & 60 yds - these pins are in a vertical line. If you are shooting at 20 yds you of course use your 20 yd pin placed about 1/3 up the body. Your 30 - 60 yard pins, for a quick check, should line up the rear edge of the front leg.
So what you have is your 20 yd pin properly positioned for height and, with the rest of your pins lined up behind the front leg, which will ensure you're not going to hit too far forward or back.
Now this applies only to a broadside animal. For a quartering away shot, you would align using the opposite side leg.
IMO the best image I can give you is to picture a soccer ball set between the animals shoulders. You visually divide the ball into 2 halves. A top and bottom and aim just below the "equator" and in the vertical center.

Joot 09-05-2013 06:33 AM

Bronko22000, thank you for the explanation. I got it now. Thank you again...

*twodogs* 09-16-2013 10:31 AM

Thanks, that's a great tip, going to try this when my season starts in another two weeks.

arrowman2317 09-17-2013 06:13 PM

good idea as long as the sight bubble says the same...

jta 09-17-2013 06:17 PM

i agree very good idea