Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bought my first bow need a little help >

Bought my first bow need a little help

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bought my first bow need a little help

Old 08-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Spike

Default Bought my first bow need a little help

So I've been rifle hunting all my life. Decided to give bow a shot. I bought an older Browning (late 80's). May have to get back to you on model. I didn't want to go all in on a $1000 bow and not care for it.

My problem is that I shoot. The bow is on. Great grouping. Take a long break (couple of days or maybe even a few hours) pick it back up, it's off. Still grouping fine. Usually it moves high right. I adjust my sights get it back on then repeat the cycle. I've read about the spine flex of the arrow. I've kinda ruled that out because I'm shooting the same 4 carbon arrows every time. My sights are good and tight so I don't think they are moving.

Like I said, I'm new to archery, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Spike

you are holding the bow Different each time you pick it up. ( torqing the Bow). Or either you are not using the same anchor point consistently. Is this more a Left to Right Problem, or Up and down?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't say it's anything wrong with form or spine if it's grouping well... sounds more like your sight is moving or something. If it's always in the same direction, and you always move your sight to correct it, then it could be an issue with your sight mount?

I really don't see how it could be consistently moving high-right if it's grouping well and you chase the arrow with your sights. If your sight wasn't moving, and you had to change it every time you start shooting, wouldn't you eventually "max out" how far you could move your sight in the upper-right direction?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

I would agree with the MIKE. You could be torquing your wrist or locking your elbow out or changing your form just slighting giving the changes in your grouping on the target. Get you a kisser button and tuck it in the corner of your lip for a consitent anchor point and when you are at full draw you should be able to relax the hand holding the bow with then your thumb and pointer finger. Squeeze the trigger while holding on your target to get the "suprise release". Take notice of your stance, form, and anchor point. Takes alot of practice but youll get there. When I firsted started shooting this would happen to me as well. I didn thave kisser button and I would either putting my eye forward closer to the peep or farther away and that cause me to shoot little higher or lower but with good grouping. Hope this helps. Practice Practice Practice and get kisser button.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay imagine yourself rifle hunting. You are trying to squeeze off a 400 yard shot. Everything has got to be right each time. Same thing with shooting a bow. Every shot has got to be the same as the last as you go through the mechanicals of making the shot. The grip ultimately determines the accuracy of each shot. Relax do not rush your shots. Follow through.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Spike

So try drawing your bow back with an arrow on the string before your shot with your eyes closed.
Once you reach your anchor point slowly open your eye, 1st question is if your peep is centering your sight outer ring?, 2nd are you seeing more of the left side of your sight or the right side?
Answers, 1st if your peep is high or low in relation to your scope once you open your eye then you have a peep height that is not spot on.
2nd if you are seeing too much of your scopes side either right or left, then you are either probably not having the same anchor points (nose on string, hand on face etc...) or your draw length may be off a bit.
Torque of the grip is always a threat, I had to deal with this as the bow should sit in the soft part of your hand between your thumb and fore finger. I found this out shooting through paper without fletching at 10 yards. You may also find you are not properly tuned by shooting through paper without fletching at 10 yards. A perfect bullet hole is what you are after, nothing else is good.
I have been hunting with a bow for 35 years and shooting competitively indoors for 10 years. Hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

If u are usin a kisser button or a peep sight make sure they are not moving up or down on the string
Old 09-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone. I still haven't figured it out. I've tried working on my form, anchor point, and grip trying to replicate it every time. I'm gonna try putting on a kisser button, just to make sure it's the same every time. As far as the sights go, it has 2 nuts that control up and down adjustment and 2 more than control left to right. So all 4 nuts would have to be loose to get me up and right. I've triple checked them to be tight.

Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Spike

Don't grip the bow..Let it sit in the crotch of your hand. Make sure you have the right draw length.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

Hoyt is right. Don't even use your fingers on your bow hand. Leave them pointing forward, but relaxed. This one technique revolutionized my shooting early on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.