Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bought my first bow need a little help >

Bought my first bow need a little help

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bought my first bow need a little help

Old 09-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

What Hoyt63 said....maybe buy Yourself a wrist sling so You feel comfortable holding the Bow and You don't Torque it when shooting!Another thing is to have someone watch You shoot so they can see if You have good form and your shooting correctly?

Do You have bubble level on Your Bow Sight?It will help You keep the Bow level while Your shooting....it's a good visual to have while shooting Your Bow!

How many pounds do You have the Bow set at...could You be over doing it,is the draw length correct to match You?You could have issues with the Bow itself...maybe have a Bow Shop check it out for You to make sure everything is in good working order and the Cams and string are in good shape?
Old 09-04-2013, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tuff Bucker
So I've been rifle hunting all my life. Decided to give bow a shot. I bought an older Browning (late 80's). May have to get back to you on model. I didn't want to go all in on a $1000 bow and not care for it.

My problem is that I shoot. The bow is on. Great grouping. Take a long break (couple of days or maybe even a few hours) pick it back up, it's off. Still grouping fine. Usually it moves high right. I adjust my sights get it back on then repeat the cycle. I've read about the spine flex of the arrow. I've kinda ruled that out because I'm shooting the same 4 carbon arrows every time. My sights are good and tight so I don't think they are moving.

Like I said, I'm new to archery, so any help would be appreciated.
Based on the bolded part above (emphasis is mine), I don't think it has anything to do with form.

"The bow groups great." - Consistent form

OP Takes a long break... shoots again and it's off. BUT, "still grouping fine."

If it had anything to do with spine or form, it wouldn't be ON and grouping great one day, then hitting high-right but still making good groups. AFTER he adjusts the sight, the arrow starts hitting point of aim again.

If what the OP said is true, I don't see how it can be blamed on form or spine. If he is consistently adjusting his site up and to the right every time he picks up his bow after a break, I feel like something is wrong with the sight OR the situation is not exactly as described.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a thought but have you checked to make sure yourrest isn't moving on you? i could be wrong but id check every nut and bolt on the bow.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Spike

that happened to me try to hold your breath and not twitch as much that helped me