Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bowhunters Opinion >

Bowhunters Opinion

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunters Opinion

Old 08-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Spike

Default Bowhunters Opinion

What do you guys think about a range finder as a necessary tool for bow hunting? I am interested in hearing different thoughts about one from the ground and stand. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Spike

I carry one with me. I don't always have the time to be able to use it when I set up but if I do have time I definitely use it. If time is allowed I like to range 2-3 diferent objects from my left to my right depending on my set up and try to remember those ranges this way if they come close to those objects then I will have an idea of what pin I need to use. I try to attend a some 3D shoots in the summer this way the range finder is just a backup plan.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

very important tool, but you should be able to judge yardage on the fly, i use the rangefinder as a practice aid
Old 08-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Not a necessity but they are very useful. You should never have to range an animal while hunting, but you should range different objects around you and know what the yardage is when the animal comes by, then no messing with the range finder in the "heat of the moment".

I use my range finder more for hanging stand and setting up shooting lanes than I do while actually hunting.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Spike

I can, for the most part judge it, but I would like to be able to verify and see if the shot was about where I thought. Like the first guy said I would like to get view points so I can verify the shot. Do you guys hunt for the ground or a stand.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used one for a couple seasons, but thru practice can judge within a couple yards without one. I practiced from my deck and moved the target around in the back yard w/o knowing the distance. This doesn't work too well anymore as there's not a spot in the yard that I don't know the exact distance anymore, but it translated into the woods. Another way is to pick out an object as you're walking (anywhere) and try to judge the distance. Then just count your steps. I would pick out a car in the parking lot at work on the way in and out.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one and bring it with me but don't use it often. Usually got it all figured out before i get to my area and i am a ground guy. When i set my spots up before season i already range out my areas using things around me. Like a new recent area and with my fathers eyes getting a little worse we marked several trees in a radius with a - mark for 15 yards and a + for 25. That's about it but once you get out there you will be able to estimate distance as you get more experience.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second wallhangr's method up there.

When you're walking around throughout the day... every once in awhile just pick a point and estimate the range. Then, walk to it and count your steps (obviously try to cover a yard with each step).

If you're close... look back to where you started and take a mental note. After a few weeks of this, it'll almost be second nature.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

If you hunt out of permanent or semi-permanent stands or blinds, just know your pace count and pace off some prominent objects. I carry one, but I don't think it's a necessity (at least for whitetails, might be a differenet story out west).
Old 08-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

There has never been an animal killed, with archery equipment or otherwise, without the use of a laser rangefinder...

Oh wait, I forgot...

:happy 0157:: happy0157:

It's a luxury, and it tends to make guys lazy, neglecting to practice 'eyeballing' ranges without the use of a rangefinder.

It's a great tool, and if used properly, VERY effective. But I hunted before they were available, and I wouldn't stay home if I didn't have one.

To some of the other poster's points, even before I had a rangefinder, I used to use a 100ft tape measure to mark out different landmarks in my hunting areas. That's the most effective technique I've ever used for 'in-hunt accuracy'. Know the field before the game is there, then you don't need the equipment, and won't have doubts in your shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.