Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Best bow for $500 >

Best bow for $500

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best bow for $500

Old 08-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best bow for $500

Ok I'm looking at getting a compound Bow to teach and train my Boys who are getting a compound for Christmas, In short........ What's the best bow to look at for $500, I'm looking at secondhand top of the range bow, unless you can think of something better.
I've owned a 60# Merlin XS, 2008 70# PSE X-Force Dream Season and a 2009 60# Diamond marquis and really liked them all, can you think of a better bow???
Old 08-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Interesting quandry, Dr. Watson...

Opening up to used bows is a bag of worms. There's such a weird market on used bows, it's hard to say that X bow used should be $XXX and Y bow used should be $YYY.

Then I'd ask the next step question, are you looking for complete bows for $500 (i.e. total budget), or a used bare bow for $500?

Shopping the used archery market is terrible. It's pretty common you'll find used ready-to-hunt bows for $500 that might have been $500 bare bow new, so you're not gaining a lot. Now if you start looking at considerably older, undesirable models, then you can start increasing your savings.

If you're looking for a great $500 single cam that comes new ready to hunt, take a look at the Diamond Outlaw. I've set a few of them up in the last few years for customers, and have sold even more of them. Really good value bow. The Apex sight on them isn't anything fancy, but it's serviceable, the Rest needs replaced asap, but it'll work well enough while you save up for a different rest.

Other than that, it's hunting ebay, craigslist, etc to find a certain bow model that you're interested in, and hope it's a good deal. I've seen a used Mathews z7 go for $1000, and another go for $500, picking out used stuff by price is just way too subjective, and gauging use on bows is difficult.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with mercy....I bought my Z7 used and in excellent condition for 500. But you could buy one for more and its noticeably used. I'd stay away from craigslist personally...to many scams on there.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Nomercy and the Outlaw. It's a nice bow for $500. I shoot the Fugitive, which is a small step up but only $600. I also agree with putting a different arrow rest on. They both come with an octane rest. I put a Trophy Taker Pronghorn on my Fugitive and it shot over 10 fps faster.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd get a nice barebow for $500, secondhand even. Although I've got my heart set on a Diamond , but its an Iceman. seen nothing but good reviews for this Bow, not the newest bow or the fastest, but its a beauty.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

Find a loaded Bowtech Guardian on CL or ArcheryTalk. Thank me later.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:58 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Martin bows hands down.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

if he's already going to get a compound for christmas why not get him a recurve to learn fundamentals with? it makes it easier to concentrate on all the little things that should come first. come the new year he'll have his draw, anchor point and release down and can concentrate on sights then. PLUS he gets another quality bow to keep instead of a inferior compound to just turn around and sell
Old 08-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with what's been said about the used market. I picked up a Hoyt Trykon in January 2008 (it would have been used 2 seasons) in good condition for under $300. Time of year certainly has something to do with it, and now probably isn't the best time to buy, as we're going into hunting season and a lot of people are shopping for new stuff. If I were in the market, I'd spend a lot of time on Ebay, Craigs list, etc., and not be too picky as to a particular bow, and try to recognize the good deals when I came upon them (sometimes easier said than done).
Old 08-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Spike

I think if it is going to be their first bow, I'd even go with something like a newer Bear or PSE. A smooth drawing, longer AtA length, and forgiving single cam bow can help increase accuracy from the start and a person who shoots well at the start is more interested in becoming better in the sport, IMO. Beginning archers will fall more in love with the sport if they start out with a more FORGIVING bow versus the hype and name. I am shooting a PSE Stinger 3G, bought it bare bow for $299, outfitted with QAD-dropaway, truglo from wal-mart and a limbsaver vibration dampner set (limb silencers, string silencers, riser front-stabilizer) from BPS. It's adjustable draw length w/o a press from 25.5"-30.5" is convenient and the weight is from 40-70#. Bow and accessories included I'm under $500. Just my two cents but best of luck in your search.

Last edited by pse_fitz; 08-23-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.