Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another hunter killed

Old 09-28-2003, 09:47 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default RE: Another hunter killed

about 10 years ago I was out hunting in the mountains. Working my way up a small trail in dense fog. the ground was a little damp so I didn' t make much noise. I was moving slowly. Move, wait, move, wait. then up ahead i heard some noise. It sounded like something tearing at a bush. I waited. I eased forard very slowly taking 10-20 m,inutes to move just a few yards. I started to see movement and the brown colors of fur. I had my rifle aimed and was waiting. don' t know if the fog suddenly let up or what, but I was staring down my barrel at a man 25 yards away. the trail emptied out onto a small clearing next to the fireroad. He was loading some stuff into his pickup. I went home. That even changed hunting for me quite a bit. At least two lives would have been destroyed if I had pulled the trigger. It wasn' t cautious careful safety minded hunting that prevented it. It was luck. When I hunt I wear a blaze orange hat and vest, even though you are only required to wear a hat here in VA. When I am going to or from my stand at night, I will be using a flashlight. I don' t want to be the guy on the other end of the barrel.
I don' t ever want to be around an accident like that.

David
Old 09-28-2003, 10:34 AM

" Climbing a fence with a loaded gun and having it go off"

" Raising or lowering a loaded gun to a tree and having it go off"

NEITHER of those are accidents. They are both brainless violations of basic firearms safety rules and plain negligence.

" Dropping a gun or falling and having it go off" Now, THAT could-might-maybe be an accident, if you' re handling the loaded gun with the safety ON.

They are all accidents because the gun was not purposely discharged. Yes they are all stupid and preventable (all accidents are) but none the less.......in all those cases the hunter didn' t intend or want to fire his gun.

When you point a gun at something and pull the trigger it is NO accident. He killed what he was aiming at just like he wanted to..........the problem lies with his stupidity in not identifying his target. He shot the guy on purpose.........he just did or didn' t know it was a guy.

A mistake is not the same as an accident.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can call ' em ' accidents' if you want to, atlasman. I most certainly do not agree with you.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:15 PM

I' m with you, Arthur. That' s just plain negligence on the part of a hunter, not accidents. Accidents are defined as something that is not preventable. Each of those scenerios are preventable.

As a Hunter Education instructor, we cover this area alot in the classes we teach. Several years ago, it was common-place to call such incidents as accidents, and in most cases, there was no prosecution in these cases. However, it has finally dawned on people that it' s rare that one of these incidents can be classified as a true accident. It' s 99.999999% of the time negligence on the part of some person that has caused the situation. And they are prosecuting these cases now based on that fact.

If you' re pulling a loaded rifle up into a stand, or lowering it from the stand, you' re negligent if it goes off. It should never have been loaded. If a gun goes off while crossing a fence, you' re negligent, it never should have been loaded. If you shoot at something that has not been 100% identified, you' re negligent.

Remember when the anti gun crowds used to (still do) say that guns were at fault for all the school shootings, and everything else that occurs? If you believe the above type incidents are accidents, and unpreventable, then you surely believe that guns are at fault in general, not the person using it.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can call ' em ' accidents' if you want to, atlasman. I most certainly do not agree with you.
Nor do I.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:19 PM

I think we are all comparing apples and oranges here...........or there is some confusion and we are all saying the same thing in different ways.

No one here is saying that climbing a fence or falling or raising/lowering a gun that goes off is NOT an accident.............but shooting a fellow hunter IS right??

In only one of those cases is the gun discharged on purpose, under full control of the man operating it.

I know no one is saying that mistaking a 2 legged man in an orange vest for a 600 lb huge racked 4 legged animal covered in brown fur is an accident.......right??

Some of the replies are confusing.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:04 PM

No one here is saying that climbing a fence or falling or raising/lowering a gun that goes off is NOT an accident.............but shooting a fellow hunter IS right??
I' m not sure I understand what you' re saying.

I' m saying that NONE of those are accidents. If you' re going to break any of the 10 Commandants of Firearm Safety, you' re being negligent and have no business in the woods. And in most states now days, negligence is both criminally and civily prosecutable.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:06 AM

I think we all got our wires crossed there for a second. I was just trying to show a difference between the accidental discharge of a weapon and the intentional pointing and shooting of one.

They can ALL be avoided with simple common sense as I have already said.

I don' t see someone falling while walking and his gun discharging and striking someone else..........and someone shooting a hunter he thought was an Elk as quite the same things.

99.9% of hunting incidents are VERY preventable so I am in favor of holding the negligable party responsible to the extent of the law.

Be safe
Old 09-29-2003, 12:19 AM

Okay, I got ya now. You' re basically talking about accidental discharges vs. hunting " accidents" . A firearm going off unintentionally is an accidental discharge and has nothing to do with whether or not it was negligence on the part of the owner. Your examples are what threw everyone off. If you' re pulling a loaded rifle up to your stand and if goes off, it' s an accidental discharge. If it strikes someone, it' s criminal negligence.

While we' re back to calmer thinking, what in the heck is that picture of? Someone' s liver?
Old 09-30-2003, 07:36 AM

A little update, this might answer some questions from earlier. and atlas, yes what is that picture

http://journalstandard.com/articles/...ews/news26.txt

Quick Reply: Another hunter killed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.