Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another hunter killed

Old 09-26-2003, 04:05 PM

Default RE: Another hunter killed

[font=" Tahoma" ] talk about a tragity i swear that guy should goto waly world get him some glasses this crap anit posed to be happing i would hate to of known the guy who shot him he should got o jail for life and milked for every penny hes worth cuz anit nothing gonna bring him back [:@] if that keeps on happning we anit gonna be able to hunt
Old 09-26-2003, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Very sad and a tragedy. As Arthur says........wait and see. The article states the shooter was a member of the party???

Accidents happen period, sometimes a result of stupidity but accidents still happen!
Old 09-26-2003, 06:22 PM

[:@]When you put a man in your sights and pull the trigger its either manslaughter
or murder. It' s no accident[X(]. Anyone who can' t follow the basic rules of firearms safety has no business owning, much less shooting a gun[:@]. It will be interesting to see how the facts play out in this story. It says in the article that the
guy mistook the victim for an elk. If that turns out to be true he will probably be charged with manslaughter at the minimum. It' s sad to say but it seems that the woods are full of people who see movement and shoot. I' ve heard plenty of accounts of guys shooting stumps that they thought were deer, or just shooting at movement in the bushes[]. Every time I hear a story like that, it really pisses me off!!![:@][:@]. We have a hard enough time with anti hunters... then you have something like that happen.

>>>---DAVIDP---SILERCITY,NC--->
Old 09-26-2003, 08:51 PM

accidents still happen!
I hate to say this, but I don' t think hunting incidents are accidents. They' re negligent, and should be held accountable. Just because it' s unfortunate, and he/she didn' t mean to do it doesn' t mean they are accidents. They still broke the self-imposed rules every responsible hunter is, and should be, held by.

And most states are starting to realize that and charge perpetrators of these incidents with negligent manslaughter.

I mean, think about it. Write down a list of possible accidents that could occur. Then think about it and see if you can' t find that it is simply negligence on the part of the hunter.

The only one I could actually come up with is, you' re walking thru the woods and the ground opens up and swallows you.

There' s not an animal out there worth making this kind of error.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

Unbelievable. I hear about this crap every season and I just cannot understand
how someone can mistake a human for game. I know the woods can play tricks
on our eyes but that is no excuse. Throw his a** in jail.

The only positive thing that can come of this is that there will (hopefully) be
one less brain-dead jacka** out there in the woods.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:16 PM

I' ll keep a look out to see what happens to the shooter since their were basically local people involed, if i find more info ill post it
Old 09-26-2003, 11:13 PM

Climbing a fence with a loaded gun and having it go off

Raising or lowering a loaded gun to a tree and having it go off

Dropping a gun or falling and having it go off

These are accidents

Pointing, aiming at and shooting a human being with a gun is murder. All that needs to be decided is if it was premeditated.

Shooting a gun carries with it a tremendous amount of responsibility.......if you are not prepared to accept that......don' t pull the trigger.

Worst of all in a situation like this is I would LOVE to hear where his aim point was..........I pick out a tiny spot and wait for that leg to move forward if possible and then and only then do I shoot. Exactly what part of a 2 legged man in a orange vest was he trying to put that bullet through.....thinking he was tucking one behind the shoulder of a 600 lb Elk?? I don' t care if the guy was crawling on all fours bugling away like a monster bull..........there is NO WAY that a man can be mistaken for ANY animal unless you were just shooting at noise or movement......in either case, have fun in jail.

He should have reloaded that muzzleloader and blew his own head off to rid this wonderful world of his dangerous stupidity.

I have ZERO sympathy for idiots like this.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

" Climbing a fence with a loaded gun and having it go off"

" Raising or lowering a loaded gun to a tree and having it go off"

NEITHER of those are accidents. They are both brainless violations of basic firearms safety rules and plain negligence.

" Dropping a gun or falling and having it go off" Now, THAT could-might-maybe be an accident, if you' re handling the loaded gun with the safety ON.

I agree that we should be upset by this kind of thing. I agree that it' s inexcusable. I agree it can' t be tolerated. But I' m not about to jump in and join the lynching party. He' ll have his day in court.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:35 AM

Stupid, negligent, inexcusable, etc? Yes! Criminal? That remains to be determined. A legal act that results in the death of another can be criminal if negligence, recklessness, etc, was involved. If the subject who did the shooting was under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or it is determined the shooting was intentional, burn him.

However, it appears that the hunting party did not a have " mission plan" that clearly informed all members of the party where all members would be positioned. It is also possible the party did not establish rules of movement. If there was a known plan, and the means to communicate (which there should have been) and the shooter ignored the plan and knew that there would or could be a member of the hunting party in the shooter' s line of fire; then burn him and hang him too.

It is too " media" to prematurely assume anything other than stupendous stupidity. But it appears that all members of the hunting party may share negligence. If true, all have culpability in the act, which includes the deceased. He may have contributed to bringing about his demise.

Until all facts are known, I feel for the deceased and his family and friends, but I also feel for the shooter, the deceased' s longtime friend. The poor guy has to be going through mental hell and anguish. And, if a decent person, he will live with the anguish for the rest of his life.

I (personally) will run the imbecile (shooter) down some slack until all facts are known.

There, but for the grace of God, go I.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:58 AM

But it appears that all members of the hunting party may share negligence. If true, all have culpability in the act, which includes the deceased. He may have contributed to bringing about his demise.
I respect your view, but, only the shooter is to blame for this. All of your ideas are good as far as a plan goes. But you and I both know, especially when hunting elk, that most plans go out the window at the first bugle.

What it all boils down to is this. The shooter DID NOT identify his target. The shooter DID point his firearm at a target he should not have. The shooter DID NOT keep his finger off the trigger until it was safe to shoot. These are the most basic of firearms safety rules.

I feel for the guy too. But I feel worse about the wife and kids that will never, ever see him again. I feel bad because he' ll never get to share his passion with his kids. He' ll never get to share OUR passion with his grandkids. Nothing can make up for that.

" Climbing a fence with a loaded gun and having it go off"

" Raising or lowering a loaded gun to a tree and having it go off"

NEITHER of those are accidents. They are both brainless violations of basic firearms safety rules and plain negligence.

Art, you are absolutely, 100% correct!!!

Quick Reply: Another hunter killed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.