Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Which broadhead is "better"? >

Which broadhead is "better"?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which broadhead is "better"?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Spike

Default Which broadhead is "better"?

Are the mechanical broadheads that open on impact better than the original 3 blade?
Old 06-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Spike

no. I personally like a fixed blade head. Nothing can fail with a fixed blade, it is always open and you get better penetration. Slick tricks are a great fixed blade head, if your looking for some.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by badlandsgunner
no. I personally like a fixed blade head. Nothing can fail with a fixed blade, it is always open and you get better penetration. Slick tricks are a great fixed blade head, if your looking for some.

thank you!!
Old 06-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Age old debate: Fixed or mechanical? Whisker biscuit or drop away rest? Stabilizer or not? 270 or 30.06? Ground blind or tree stand?

....Its all personal preference.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
Age old debate: Fixed or mechanical? Whisker biscuit or drop away rest? Stabilizer or not? 270 or 30.06? Ground blind or tree stand?

Yea I see it that way as well, everyone has their own preference. Thanks for the response!
Old 06-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OhioNovice

X2!

If you do a search on Fixed mechanical broad heads in the search feature. You'll probably find hours of reading. Some of it even gets comical when people think the broadhead they use is the best and everyone else is idiots.

Good Luck!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the opinion of an old head that started archery hunting seriously in 1962. I have gone through more different vintages of archery gear than I dare try to list here. If I could offer a new archery hunter any one advice that would be keep your gear simple. Enough can go wrong on an archery hunt as it is, so there is no reason to introduce anything more .... and that is how I see any mechanical broad head.

I know of no well sharpended stoutly built fixed or replaceable blade style broad head that is not a deadly killer. Even with the fastest set-ups a fixed blade can be found that will tune well to a properly splined and fletched shaft. My personal favorites are the Montec G5 and the NAP Thunderhead. I have killed hump-teen deer with these two over the years. There is absolutely nothing short on the Magnus Snuffer or the Muzzy 3-blade design.

I am sure I'll get push back on not recommending a mechanical. I know tons of guys who like 'em. Me ... I am very reluctant to change what is working, and this approach to simple has worked for me from my first days using a $17 Pearson fiber glasss stick bow to my joy of shooting a Wonder Bow recurve, through my days with the compounds which saw me go from the first generation Bear design and ending up with my last being a Mathews SQ-2. Sadly, I can no longer draw anything over about 45#, but I can still lay 'em in the weeds with my cross bow .... and the 125 gr. Montec G5's.

Last edited by Mojotex; 06-26-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:03 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Here is the opinion of an old head that started archery hunting seriously in 1962. I ahve gone through more different vintages of archery gear than I dare try to list here. If I could offer a new archery hunter any one advice that would be keep your gear simple. Enough can go wrong on an archerty hunt as it is, so ther eis no reason to introduce anything more .... and that is how I see any mechanical broad head.

I know of no well sharpended stoutly built fixed or replaceable blade style broad head that is not a deadly killer. Even with the fastest set-ups a fixed blade can be found that will tune well to a properly splined and fletch shaft. My persobnal favorites are the Montec G5 and the NAP Thunderhead. I have killed hump-teen deer with these two over the eyars. There is absolutely nothing short on the Magnus Snuffer or the Muzzy 3-blade design.

I am sure I'll get push back on not recommending a mechanical. I know tons of guys who like 'em. Me ... I am very reluctant to change what is working, and this approach to simple has worked for me from my first days using a $17 Pearson fiber glasss stick bow to my joy of shooting a Wonder Bow recurve, through my days with the compounds which saw me go from the first generation Bear design and ending up with my last being a Mathews SQ-2. Sadly, I can no longer draw anything over about 45#, but I can still lay 'em in the weeds with my cross bow .... and the 125 gr. Montec G5's.
I agree. Have shot Muzzy's, but last year found some even more economical fixed blades that seemed to be well put together (blades firmly fixed) and gave me some decent groupings.

Someday I will have to try the mechanicals though.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ford , Chevy , Dodge , Toyota, etc....
Old 06-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive used both. The way I see it the more moving parts the more that can go wrong...mechanicals work but they can have problems. I used mechanicals in MD when I lived there...but Fixed blades is the way to go IMO...and the other reason is mechanical broad heads are illegal to use in Idaho...so no objections here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.