Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
need helping choosing broadhead. >

need helping choosing broadhead.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need helping choosing broadhead.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

125grn Rage 2 blades Chisel Points pushed by 92ft.lbs. of energy.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:28 AM
Fork Horn

Use grim reaper for last two years. Awesome broadhead. I gringe when I go to buy 3 ..40$ or so. Im a big fan of midwestwhitetail and the rocketsteelhead looks good and little cheaper. Bill winkie swears by them for the last 15 years. Im going to try them. Good luck
Old 08-30-2013, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hoyt21
Use grim reaper for last two years. Awesome broadhead. I gringe when I go to buy 3 ..40$ or so. Im a big fan of midwestwhitetail and the rocketsteelhead looks good and little cheaper. Bill winkie swears by them for the last 15 years. Im going to try them. Good luck
good choice steelheads are awesome! I currently shoot sidewinders but steelheads are great as well!
Old 08-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by danjares
The rage didn't open on a Giant! I lung shot him, he ran 30 yards in some thick stuff, heard him crash, wen't in 2 hours later and he was just laying there looking at me, I went to back out and he got up and ran and never looked back, I have the shot on film, Perfect broadside behind the shoulder 1/2 the way up the body, just perfect, I dont get it! Still makes me upset to this day. !!! So here we are SHWACKER ALL THE WAY!!!!
We had a buck last year the the neighbor shot with a rage that didn't get very good penetration. He was a real nice 10 pointer that we were all after. We have about 8 pictures of him after he shot him. Perfect shot just no penetration. Buck looked to be fine and we we even spotted him chasing does a few weeks later. I know people love them but after seeing this buck running around and hearing the neighbor be so mad about what happened, I'm going to stick to my Slick Trick Mags.

Also, good to hear about the swacker. I thought they looked like decent broadheads but wasn't sure because of who was marketing them and how they always pushed C'mere deer which was a horrible product IMO. May have to give them a try one of these days.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

NAP Spitfire XP 100 Gr. Flawless heads and many kills with these for me.

If you put the arrow in the lungs or heart the maker of your broadhead does not matter. The animal is yours. Mechanical heads DO fly like field points...like everyone says...so that's a positive.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Spike

id recommend NAP Thunderheads, I hit dead center on my target at 50 yards. very accurate broadheads. With my bow they shoot just like field points.

Last edited by UpstateNYHunter; 09-01-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

RyanVT

I've shot every type of broadhead in the book I think. I've shot fast, and light, and heavy and slow, old compounds, recurves, longbows .... killed elk, mule deer, whitetails, pronghorns .....

This is what you need to know

Have your bow well tuned.

Shoot the heaviest arrows your bow will shoot well without terribly compromising trajectory. KE means nothing - it is literally the energy required to get your arrow from zero to top speed - which has nothing to do with how your arrow penetrated. Momentum is the key.

Shoot a broadhead that will NEVER FAIL YOU. mechanicals will and do fail, some other heads do too by way of top curling etc.

I shoot a Mathews Drenalin, 63 pounds, 590 grain total weight arrows with a 170 Zwickey's

Why?

Compound because I have no time to practice recurve and I got a great deal on it.

63 pounds because I can sit in the cold for 4 hours not moving and draw it.

590 grains because I couldn't get my arrows tuned to 650 grains - if I could have I would have ! HEAVY IS BETTER FOR EVERYTHING

Most people never shoot beyond 20-25 yards ... heavy means more momentum.

170 gr Zwickeys because I've never bent/broken one. Ever. 2 blades means better penetration. I resharpen them.

I have shot Slick Trick Razortricks the past couple of years with great success. THEY ARE TOUGH, and SHARP and they fly like mech's do ..... a fantastic broadhead IMO that will not fail you

That's a 200 lb KS Whitetail, first vertebrae off the skull.

No, NOT the shot I planned, but my heavy arrows and Razortricks worked.

A mechanical would NOT have done that - having the right head and arrow was the difference in wounded buck vs tagged buck

Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Spike

In the package NAP has included a broadhead wrench to make sure you don’t cut yourself when putting them on. I did however have an issue with the out of box sharpness of my 2 blade blood runner. I contacted NAP and they said if I sent them in they would replace them with no problems.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

I shot a very nice 8 point last year with the spitfire 100...devestating on the deer...deer went 30 yards max. The blood trail was unbelieveable...I am going to put some grim reapers in my quiver this year as well. I have heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

Some people like mechanical broad heads and others prefer fixed/replaceable broad heads. some mechanical require more kinetic energy to open than others. I personally like to shoot a fixed/replaceable blade broad head. Shot Muzzy 4 blade 100 grs for 5 years and had no real issues with them. Last year switched to Slick Trick 100 gr Razor Tricks and had no issues with them. Blew thru a doe standing broad side last year. Went thru between 2 ribs and came out thru front shoulder on other side without breaking any of blades.
What it comes down to is your choice of what you want to shoot really. All the broad heads mentioned are good ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.