HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Inconsistent grouping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/383562-inconsistent-grouping.html)

jakeman3327 08-01-2013 06:12 PM

Inconsistent grouping

So I got my first compound bow this year, and have been practicing with it a lot lately. I have been noticing that my groups are not consistent at all. I went to an archery shop, and they said I had good form. But I will shoot one arrow high, then one to the right, then two too low, ext, ext. I think one problem might be that I have a terrible anchor point. I usually just put the knuckle of my trigger finger on my earlobe. If you guys have any tips that could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

By the way I shoot a Mathews mission craze at 26 inch draw and 40# draw.... if it matters.

OhioNovice 08-01-2013 06:19 PM

Sounds like you need to tune your bow. Shoot two arrows with vanes, and then shoot two bare shafts. See how they group and them correct the issue.

solocamcan 08-01-2013 06:37 PM

Could be different things...have you had your center shot checked? Are you dropping your bow arm....peeking to see where your arrow hits? I am assuming that all of your arrows are the same? Is your bowstring slapping your arm/shirt? Are you better at the start and progressively get worse as you shoot?

nys-buckstalker 08-01-2013 06:43 PM

A little more info would be helpful. Like what you are using for a rest, what type and size arrows you are shooting ? what weight arrow point are you shooting ? My guess would be arrows are over splined for your bow. Cant speak for every arrow but Gold Tip arrows for your draw length and draw weight would be 35/55 arrow. Easton's and Carbon Express also make very good arrows in the draw weight range also.

nys-buckstalker 08-01-2013 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by solocamcan (Post 4070349)
Could be different things...have you had your center shot checked? Are you dropping your bow arm....peeking to see where your arrow hits? I am assuming that all of your arrows are the same? Is your bowstring slapping your arm/shirt? Are you better at the start and progressively get worse as you shoot?

Could also be these thing mentioned, Mission is part of Mathews and most Mathews centershots are right around 13/16 from berger hole to center of arrow on rest. Also is your arrow even with berger hole on rest. Meaning if you looked from side of bow straight on toward your rest you should see the hole where your rest is screwed on to your bow slightly above and below your arrow.

nys-buckstalker 08-01-2013 06:49 PM

hope we helped you

Nomercy448 08-01-2013 09:14 PM

Simple solution to tell if it's the Indian or the arrow... Er, well, the bow in this case...

Find a better Indian. Put your bow in the hands of a more skilled archer and see if they have the same issues.

With modern equipment in the hands of new archers, it's usually user error.

One thing that I encourage new archers that I help to do is shoot 5 spot targets, one arrow at each spot (i.e., do NOT shoot groups). Inevitably, when you see the last impact, you'll end up looking at it for your next shot, which can throw you off. Shooting one shot per spot eliminates this mental screw up.

BGfisher 08-03-2013 07:59 AM

I have to agree with Nomercy. I don't care if your bow is tuned or not, or your arrows aren't spined right. All this matters eventually, but if you are not shooting with consistent form and mental concentration then you will not shoot consistent groups.

I would suggest hiring a coach. Someone who can watch you and see what you are doing or not doing correctly. Barring that then join an archery club and ask some of the better target shooters to help you. I know target may not be your ultimate goal, but to be able to hunt you have to be able to shoot and the shooting process is the same in either venue.

If you have good coach you also need to listen to him/her and be willing to make changes they recommend.

Jbergy 08-03-2013 12:37 PM

Form is everything when comes to shooting good groups. If you can go to your nearest pro shop and ask for help. There are so many variables when it comes to shooting a bow especially if your new to it. Most of the time new shooters will be shooting a bow with a draw length that is to long and that will affect your shot more than anything.

fshafly2 08-05-2013 02:59 PM

Also, be sure that your bow sight doesn't have any loose screws - an easy check that can save hours of cure...
-fsh

RyanVT 08-06-2013 02:54 AM

Another thing that will help you is a square up its rather cheap and stops yiu from torquing your bow
. I'd stary at 10 yards and practice.

pitbullman 08-07-2013 12:53 AM

Always always always start with a properly tuned bow! Follow that by correct spined arrows followed by your form!

Valentine 08-07-2013 01:44 AM

They can sell you an expensive bow

...but they can't sell you accuracy. In this fast paced life, selling calmness and consistency is a long shot. And archery needs calmness and consistency.

Look at the highly trained, high salaried basketball players, some of whom can't make foul shots.

When I returned to archery, I use to take ten shots at the target; then ten basketball foul shots on the outdoor basket. My archery shooting came around real quickly. I knew what it required.

jakeman3327 08-16-2013 06:56 PM

Just wanted to give an update. Since posting this, I have taken into consideration what you guys have said. I adjusted my release so that I don't have to pull back so far. I also really focused on having good form and practiced at only ten yards for a while. I am now shooting tight groups at about 25 yards. I just wanted to thank you all for the help. You probably saved my bow season!

Wilcam47 08-16-2013 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by hookeye (Post 4071308)
Anchor at your earlobe...................sounds like the draw might be too long, or whatever release you're using is less than ideal.......and or............you're not using a peep sight.

That's what I was thinking...

could be your fletching hitting the rest, not aligned, too tight of grip on the bow( holding it too tightly)...etc..

SecondChance 08-17-2013 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by hookeye (Post 4071308)
Anchor at your earlobe...................sounds like the draw might be too long, or whatever release you're using is less than ideal.......and or............you're not using a peep sight.

I anchor at my earlobe with my right hand, third knuckle, tucked behind base of jaw, string at tip of nose, not side. That was taught to me by my shooting coach when I was shooting IBO really big in the 80's to early 90's. If I am off just a smidge, it all feels wrong. And I use a Scott Mongoose strap release. I use one and carry an identical one as backup in my backpack. I used the same anchor point when I was shooting Stanklowski, thumb released, releases as well.

BGfisher 08-17-2013 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by pitbullman (Post 4071523)
Always always always start with a properly tuned bow! Follow that by correct spined arrows followed by your form!

I'm going to take issue with this statement. Form comes first and always. Without decent form you can't properly tune a bow. To have decent form the draw length and draw weight have to be close.

Second might be properly spine arrows. If arrows are too weak in spine you'll never get a decent tune, especially with broadheads. Underspined arrows can be shot into decent groups. They will just fly ugly getting to the target.

Once good form is in place and proper arrows then you start tuning.