Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Inconsistent grouping >

Inconsistent grouping

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Inconsistent grouping

Old 08-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Spike

Default Inconsistent grouping

So I got my first compound bow this year, and have been practicing with it a lot lately. I have been noticing that my groups are not consistent at all. I went to an archery shop, and they said I had good form. But I will shoot one arrow high, then one to the right, then two too low, ext, ext. I think one problem might be that I have a terrible anchor point. I usually just put the knuckle of my trigger finger on my earlobe. If you guys have any tips that could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

By the way I shoot a Mathews mission craze at 26 inch draw and 40# draw.... if it matters.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you need to tune your bow. Shoot two arrows with vanes, and then shoot two bare shafts. See how they group and them correct the issue.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Could be different things...have you had your center shot checked? Are you dropping your bow arm....peeking to see where your arrow hits? I am assuming that all of your arrows are the same? Is your bowstring slapping your arm/shirt? Are you better at the start and progressively get worse as you shoot?
Old 08-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

A little more info would be helpful. Like what you are using for a rest, what type and size arrows you are shooting ? what weight arrow point are you shooting ? My guess would be arrows are over splined for your bow. Cant speak for every arrow but Gold Tip arrows for your draw length and draw weight would be 35/55 arrow. Easton's and Carbon Express also make very good arrows in the draw weight range also.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by solocamcan
Could be different things...have you had your center shot checked? Are you dropping your bow arm....peeking to see where your arrow hits? I am assuming that all of your arrows are the same? Is your bowstring slapping your arm/shirt? Are you better at the start and progressively get worse as you shoot?
Could also be these thing mentioned, Mission is part of Mathews and most Mathews centershots are right around 13/16 from berger hole to center of arrow on rest. Also is your arrow even with berger hole on rest. Meaning if you looked from side of bow straight on toward your rest you should see the hole where your rest is screwed on to your bow slightly above and below your arrow.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

hope we helped you
Old 08-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simple solution to tell if it's the Indian or the arrow... Er, well, the bow in this case...

Find a better Indian. Put your bow in the hands of a more skilled archer and see if they have the same issues.

With modern equipment in the hands of new archers, it's usually user error.

One thing that I encourage new archers that I help to do is shoot 5 spot targets, one arrow at each spot (i.e., do NOT shoot groups). Inevitably, when you see the last impact, you'll end up looking at it for your next shot, which can throw you off. Shooting one shot per spot eliminates this mental screw up.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with Nomercy. I don't care if your bow is tuned or not, or your arrows aren't spined right. All this matters eventually, but if you are not shooting with consistent form and mental concentration then you will not shoot consistent groups.

I would suggest hiring a coach. Someone who can watch you and see what you are doing or not doing correctly. Barring that then join an archery club and ask some of the better target shooters to help you. I know target may not be your ultimate goal, but to be able to hunt you have to be able to shoot and the shooting process is the same in either venue.

If you have good coach you also need to listen to him/her and be willing to make changes they recommend.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Spike

Form is everything when comes to shooting good groups. If you can go to your nearest pro shop and ask for help. There are so many variables when it comes to shooting a bow especially if your new to it. Most of the time new shooters will be shooting a bow with a draw length that is to long and that will affect your shot more than anything.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

Also, be sure that your bow sight doesn't have any loose screws - an easy check that can save hours of cure...
-fsh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.