HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Inconsistent grouping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/383562-inconsistent-grouping.html)

RyanVT 08-06-2013 02:54 AM

Another thing that will help you is a square up its rather cheap and stops yiu from torquing your bow
. I'd stary at 10 yards and practice.

pitbullman 08-07-2013 12:53 AM

Always always always start with a properly tuned bow! Follow that by correct spined arrows followed by your form!

Valentine 08-07-2013 01:44 AM

They can sell you an expensive bow

...but they can't sell you accuracy. In this fast paced life, selling calmness and consistency is a long shot. And archery needs calmness and consistency.

Look at the highly trained, high salaried basketball players, some of whom can't make foul shots.

When I returned to archery, I use to take ten shots at the target; then ten basketball foul shots on the outdoor basket. My archery shooting came around real quickly. I knew what it required.

jakeman3327 08-16-2013 06:56 PM

Just wanted to give an update. Since posting this, I have taken into consideration what you guys have said. I adjusted my release so that I don't have to pull back so far. I also really focused on having good form and practiced at only ten yards for a while. I am now shooting tight groups at about 25 yards. I just wanted to thank you all for the help. You probably saved my bow season!

Wilcam47 08-16-2013 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by hookeye (Post 4071308)
Anchor at your earlobe...................sounds like the draw might be too long, or whatever release you're using is less than ideal.......and or............you're not using a peep sight.

That's what I was thinking...

could be your fletching hitting the rest, not aligned, too tight of grip on the bow( holding it too tightly)...etc..

SecondChance 08-17-2013 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by hookeye (Post 4071308)
Anchor at your earlobe...................sounds like the draw might be too long, or whatever release you're using is less than ideal.......and or............you're not using a peep sight.

I anchor at my earlobe with my right hand, third knuckle, tucked behind base of jaw, string at tip of nose, not side. That was taught to me by my shooting coach when I was shooting IBO really big in the 80's to early 90's. If I am off just a smidge, it all feels wrong. And I use a Scott Mongoose strap release. I use one and carry an identical one as backup in my backpack. I used the same anchor point when I was shooting Stanklowski, thumb released, releases as well.

BGfisher 08-17-2013 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by pitbullman (Post 4071523)
Always always always start with a properly tuned bow! Follow that by correct spined arrows followed by your form!

I'm going to take issue with this statement. Form comes first and always. Without decent form you can't properly tune a bow. To have decent form the draw length and draw weight have to be close.

Second might be properly spine arrows. If arrows are too weak in spine you'll never get a decent tune, especially with broadheads. Underspined arrows can be shot into decent groups. They will just fly ugly getting to the target.

Once good form is in place and proper arrows then you start tuning.